Router Forums banner

Bob and Ricks show

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Pop_pop1 
#1 ·
I do not want to sound like i am bashing anybody or a know it all but having extensive experence in woodworking, after watching this show i wonder if we are getting all the information we need or do we blame it on editing.Recently i watched these guys do raised panels and stiles and railes.I did not see them insert any spaceballs and there was No mention of using them for expansion between the raised panel and grove.This is your insurance down the road that , all the time spent is not wasted, becuase of the climate we live in.They also centre up the raised panel in the frame.Also there was no information on the proper way to shape the raised panels..All you see is a pile completed and Rick running through the final edge.
I believe there are important information that is missing in this show, and i understand that they only have so many minutes. Are these guys involved in the editing?? If not they should be.I was trained to do things the right way and not cut corners.Maybe if they see this post they can clear up whats been said.

Hickory

#2 ·
I don't for a minute dismiss what you say regarding addtional information, but you are on the right track when you refer to time. Having a little experience in that field I can tell you that there is NEVER enough time to get in all you want to say. Perhaps some future episode will deal strictly with raised panels. Or there may be a reason they stay away from doing raised panels fearing some folks might want to try them with underpowered routers, inadequate bits or insufficient preparation.

#5 ·
I would like to see a program that was complete, with jig building, if they are required for the project. It could be 4 or 5 episodes long. They just repeat over and over again.
How many times do we need to see how to make a coffee table with bent legs or an oak table ands chair.
They stopped me from watching This Old House, by leaving Bob V go and skipping around. Don't do that with The Router Workshop!
Tell me and I will forget it, show me and I will try, demonstrate the operation and I will understand.

#6 ·
Hickory said:
I do not want to sound like i am bashing anybody or a know it all but having extensive experence in woodworking, after watching this show i wonder if we are getting all the information we need or do we blame it on editing.Recently i watched these guys do raised panels and stiles and railes.I did not see them insert any spaceballs and there was No mention of using them for expansion between the raised panel and grove.This is your insurance down the road that , all the time spent is not wasted, becuase of the climate we live in.They also centre up the raised panel in the frame.Also there was no information on the proper way to shape the raised panels..All you see is a pile completed and Rick running through the final edge.
I believe there are important information that is missing in this show, and i understand that they only have so many minutes. Are these guys involved in the editing?? If not they should be.I was trained to do things the right way and not cut corners.Maybe if they see this post they can clear up whats been said.

Hickory
What are space balls? Are they some sort of spacer?

As for Router Workshop editing, Bob did a live demonstration a couple years ago at the Cloverdale woodworking show where he made a cabinet door with raised panels. He was able to cut and assemble the panels in what seemed to be 5-6 minutes. Not sure how much editing goes on for his shows, but what he did live, he did on one of his shows.

#7 ·
I just did a quick count and I think I'll be close on this...... they have 175 shows they have done! Since I found the show and started watching they were in the 1000 series so I have missed 110 of the show.... I have no idea what I've missed and what great tips and jigs I could have seen.

My point being I don't know how many time they have show a project like panel doors, and like other parts of woodworking once you have done it a couple of times you know how and want to learn something different. If everytime they make doors they go into all the details again and again we would never get to some new things to learn. Like box joints...... I've seen that done enough that they could just say we used box joints for the corners and now we are going to.........

Does this make sence to any of you?

It would be nice if someone were to take the time and have a bit more details about the projects so you knew what tools were used, what jigs, joints etc. Like 606 says "Fern Stand" and that is about all we know about it...... more details would be nice like maybe they used some homemade jig to cut the feet or something...... and if things were cross referenced one could look up raised panel doors and see all the projects that have been done using them.

OK this is a bit long winded but that's what you get sometime.

Ed

#9 ·
I think we all expect too much

In regards to the re-runs; Over the past couple of months or so I TiVo'd all of the Router Workshop episodes that played and have saved them all. It was two full seasons worth before the reruns started. That is a lot of shows. Here PBSU runs Router Workshop every day so it does not take too long to run thru two seasons worth. Bob and Rick have no control over what gets aired. If PBSU only bought two seasons worth of shows thats it.

As far as content; Bob and Rick have a very liimited amount of time. You do not need to watch them cut 24 pairs of rails and stiles. A couple of pairs will do. Have you every watched The New Yankee Workshop. Do you think that stuff gets built in 30 minutes.

Bob and Rick really kicked me into gear on woodworking and I truely appreciate them for it.

Thanks Bob and Rick

#10 ·
I have yet still to see one of the pograms submitted by Bob and Rick so I will not comment I only wish I had access to TV as I am convinced that I could show you a variety of projects all completed in the plunge mode with the aid of Template guides.
I have just completed my last session teaching the Blind to use the router with great safety, it is all a matter of making jigs and templates in some instances to complete a project or as today make a simple jig to rout a rebate to take the rail to support a table top
Get out the template guides and 'Get More From Your Router'
Tom

#11 ·
In my humble opinion Bob & Rick have the most informative woodworking show there is. Granted their timbers are pre-cut to size and a lot of the jigs are pre-made, and the show is extreamly fast paced. But Bob & Rick also have companion books & tapes that cover each project in a series. They go over each project in great detail and even cover the jigs used. I have several of these books and refer to them often, not necessarily for the projects, but for the technique used.
I think that learning the method or technique and how and where to apply it is the most benifical part of their show. They get two thumbs up from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.