Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday every one

I am a Boilermaker by trade. Found myself out of work for around 7 months this year. :(

On the brightside I bought myself some wood gear to keep me occupied in my shed.

I started making wood items for "electronic cigarettes" and have just started some Xmas presents of clocks and a barometer.

I have a Facebook page called "RN VapeWood"] where I post my projects.

I have struck a little problem in a routing technique, hence Googling and finding the forums.

Below are some pics of where I am atm.

Thankyou for the forums.

Cheers Bob

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hello Robert, welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bob.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robert. That's nice work. What kind of problem are you having?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gday and thanks for the welcome everyone.

I ended up solving my problem myself and can be found here in the "jigs" section.

The wood in the 2nd photo is a piece of Camphor Laurel. I have been out of work in my trade (boilermaking) for 6 months. I started making stands. A customer bought the stand in the 3rd photo and he gave me this slab of Camphor he had laying around for years in return for some stands made out of it.

Here is the slab IT IS HUGE lols.

Here is the chunk I made the stand from.

Gorgeous 8P

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3rd stand was madr from an old art-deco table curved leg brace piece.
I found the table soaking wet under a plastic tarp. They gave it to me when I went and picked up a "garbage" pine TV unit off them.

Here is the poor old piece beforehand.

The stand sold immediately on my Facebook page.

The base was made from some of the table top.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are my logo. Big story that. lols

I came up with my name for my work "RN Vapewood" for my Facebook page and wanted it to go on my items.

I checked out "branding". To expensive for a brand set up.
I thought, I know, I will find a brass wax stamp and use it as my "Brand iron".

So I found a mob on Ebay that make wax stamps almost placed the order and it dawned on me. Wax stamps are "inverse" and totally unsuitable for branding. :(

Mmm ok I will use wax in a Forstner recess. Brilliant!. Nah, our weather in Australia is too hot. Will melt or smudge,

I then remembered on one of my "YouTube" travels I came across a girl making her own jewllery from impressions in hot glue as a mould.

Bingo! Sourced myself some red hot glue of Ebay, ordered the stamp and I was away. :)

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love that barometer, Bob.
Thank James, I go all right for 6 months experience. I've only lost one fingernail..lols.

I got the burl amongst this lot.

Was advertised as Western Australian Sheoak burls, but I think the big piece I made the barometer out of is something else. Could possibly get another 3 out of it.

$55 the for the lot on Gumtree. :)

Atm I have my eye on a big solid oak coffee table. Looks to have a top 40mm thick and a mid shelf of around 25mm. Hope its still around on Pay day. hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts