Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow woodworkers: both guys and gals.

I been interested in woodworking for years and have been doing lightweight woodworking projects like making shelves, tables, and rather simple projects over the years. Now that I'm retired, I have the time to really get going. I'm fortunate to have an 84 year friend who has taken me under his wing. He's a wiz at working and he has a great shop setup.

I thinking a about buying a buscuit joiner. Right now it's between a PC 557 and a Dewalt DW682. My woodwoking mentor says that either one will do as he thinks they're both quality products. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Bob, and welcome to the forums.

I do own a Dewalt biscuit joiner, and have never used a Porter Cable. I have not heard anything bad about the PC and my DW works great. I think it would be a matter of choice and ultimately both will do a great job.

I have found that I do not use mine quite as much as the price tag I paid. As time went on and I grew in knowledge, I found other ways to do the job, or designed the project a little different.

Just my experience.

John

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Hi Bob and welcome to this great group of woodworkers.

I once owned a Dewalt biscuit joiner and never found it to be of use for the way I like to work, so I ended up selling it.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
I think - Welcome to the forums Bob and congrats on your retirement. Work "SAFE" and enjoy your woodworking.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I own a Freud biscuit joiner that works properly. I have also used the Craftsman Biskit adapter on a Craftsman router to cut biscuit slots. This also does the job. The features to look for: the ability to make angle cuts easily, the ability to use all sizes of biscuits, and price. Both the PC and the DeWalt are quality machines, and there are more expensive options like the Lamelo brand and Festool's new Domino tool. (A variation on biscuits) All of these are used to align joints, not for strength. The glues available create joints as strong as the wood so there is no gain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellow woodworkers. I leaned in high school a "few years ago" that wood glue is very stong and permenant. I have an entertainment center that I build over 20 years ago by edge to edge gluing pine shelving boards. No signs anywhere of the joints seperating. What I am getting from you overall that a biscuit joiner is not a must if I can align the boards evenly. I've had that problem before (unlevel joints). Any recommendations?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts