Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi,

On one of the router workshop show Bob had this tip that came in handy for me today. I know some of you will remember this and some of you maybe use it all the time. For me I remembered it and give it try and it sure is a winner!

For those of you who missed it here is my version.

On a project I'm working on (saw blade storage box) I am using some old hardboard left overs to make some "drawers". The cabinet has a series of 1/4" cuts that the "drawers" slide in. Since the material is 1/4" stock this was going along fine until I ran out of the one batch of material and started to use some stock from another batch.

Once I got to the test fitting it was clear I had a problem. The first material I was using was just under sized by a little and the sliding fit in the slots was fine. The second batch of material was just over the 1/4" nominal size and it would not fit at all much less slide.

Since the box was already together there was no way to make the grooves any wider and I really didn't want to go to the store and by more material and then cut all those pieces to size again...

Then the tip came to mind. Bob had and some plywood that was just oversize (I think it was plywood??) and he took the double cutter bit from a set of tongue & groove bits and used that to size the plywood.

If you take the bottom cutter and have it flush with the table the second cutter is 1/4" away... no measuring no fuss no major set up. I pulled my portable router table out, got my bit, set the height and then moved the fence to "it looks about right" position and ran the material through on one edge then the other.... worked just fine and it saved me a lot of time and effort.

I shot a couple of pictures so you can see what I did.... well what Bob did, I just remembered his tip.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
I for one sure miss Ed (reible) and his wit and great advice on many subjects ,he got ticked off awhile back about one of the items posted on the forum and if anyone knows how to get him back I sure wish they would try. :)

Bj :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.