Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a solution I'm think of using for my problem . I cut the door a 1/4 of inch short plus I dropped the door chipped the corner. I'm think of cutting 2 inches off the top and bottom of the door and cutting two 2 1/4 pieces as aprons on top and bottom and round over 3 sides except hinged side. Only reason I m think to doing this center of door has a star cut in the center made from to glued up pieces.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Here is a solution I'm think of using for my problem . I cut the door a 1/4 of inch short plus I dropped the door chipped the corner. I'm think of cutting 2 inches off the top and bottom of the door and cutting two 2 1/4 pieces as aprons on top and bottom and round over 3 sides except hinged side. Only reason I m think to doing this center of door has a star cut in the center made from to glued up pieces.
Could you just cut the door down all way around and add back a 3/4" or so width of moulding that is thicker than the door and "picture frame" it. You could put a bead or a cove or some feature edge profile on the edge that attaches to the door panel and the outside edge could be square. Just saying,
Herb

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
David here is the door if it wasn't for door chip out in upper right corner from me dropping. I would just bring the molding on the bottom up by 1/4 inch. The first picture is what got me interested in building . Door is frameless style .

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
A 1/8"-1/4" radius might get rid of that chip, or edge band it all the way around with a 1/8" contrasting material like walnut or mahogany. ir you want to get fancy a roman ogee profile might fix that.

How are you going to finish it? stain? clear?, paint? Is it going to be hinged? is the door as wide as the clock,or be flush with the front?

Herb

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If the clock is going to be painted like the original, why not repair the damage with Bondo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZG9T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build up the damaged area in layers, sand and paint, the defect will disappear. An alternate solution might be to square up the defect, make a patch out of a scrap of the original wood, glue it in place and sand flush to the surface. I've done this when relocating a door strike and the finished repair is undetectable once painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its going to be painted but you gave me a good idea. I'm going to rip 3 inches off the chipped edge and glue a 3 inch piece on in its place and bring the bottom molding that going to be on bottom up a 1/4 inch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts