Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is a very early project that I did for my daughter while she was in college. The available space in a room with three young ladies, their beds and desks crowded in was at an extreme premium. My daughter had an upper bunk over a desk and needed some way to store books as well as have a place for her alarm clock.

So, I designed this project to fit into an available niche. An experienced eye will pick out that I was very novice in my woodworking and finishing skills, but she was thrilled that I'd built something for her and especially pleased that the top came just high enough at the end of the bed for her alarm radio to sit and be perfectly visible.

The moral here is that a project need not be elegant, or expertly done to be successful. You need only meet a need and please the recipient.

Materials - Birch ply (3/4 and 1/4 - the backing) and solid birch (edging). Finish - medium shellac.

The pictures were taken at home before delivering it to school. The paperback book helps scale the shelves (all but the bottom most were supported by pegs.)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Nicely done.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Microsuffer

I like it very clean and nice lines..good job :)

=========

He is a very early project that I did for my daughter while she was in college. The available space in a room with three young ladies, their beds and desks crowded in was at an extreme premium. My daughter had an upper bunk over a desk and needed some way to store books as well as have a place for her alarm clock.

So, I designed this project to fit into an available niche. An experienced eye will pick out that I was very novice in my woodworking and finishing skills, but she was thrilled that I'd built something for her and especially pleased that the top came just high enough at the end of the bed for her alarm radio to sit and be perfectly visible.

The moral here is that a project need not be elegant, or expertly done to be successful. You need only meet a need and please the recipient.

Materials - Birch ply (3/4 and 1/4 - the backing) and solid birch (edging). Finish - medium shellac.

The pictures were taken at home before delivering it to school. The paperback book helps scale the shelves (all but the bottom most were supported by pegs.)

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Simple but eloquent. Really nice looking.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
It looks first class to me, the only thing that I would have done different would have been to leave out the bottom shelf and glue and screw the sides from underneath the base.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All,

All complements go straight to my head. The biggest compliment that I've received to date was from another daughter who complained that I hadn't done anything like that for her. That's a problem I like having.

Hi Harry,

The bottom shelf was a partly style choice to suggest that the top assembly was 'just' sitting on the base. The top was such a tall, almost overpowering element, that I wanted a bit of a distraction. This also made it easier to build and assemble, a real consideration as I was, and still am, something of a novice in wood.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool look & clever design ... those college dorm rooms demand a little imagination & I'm sure this was the nicest piece of furniture in the building!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
The top was such a tall, almost overpowering element, that I wanted a bit of a distraction.
It always amazes me how many woodworkers also consider the artistic elements of design. I hope this is a "developed" talent as I don't seem to have it yet.
Great job Microsuffer!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The proof of your talent is the old saying, "form follows function".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes you do something for the visual appeal and sometimes the appeal sort of comes in unexpectedly from the effort to do something practical. This was more of the latter. And even so, the art was sort of in the wood and I just noticed it there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Microsuffer
Not only did you make a fine piece of furniture, you created functionality that will last many years and serve your daughter well, maybe it will move down to your grandchildren.
kenlitski

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is, beyond the functional appreciation, a great deal of sentimental attachment. My daughters each treasure any wood project I make for them. That bookcase is still jealously protected and in use though the owner has long since left school and is married. The alarm clock has moved to a new location, but the bookcase is chock full of favorite books.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, it is elegant! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts