Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which book do you recommend for the reader new to routing? Also, I have a Bosch router, will any brand of bits work or should I only order Bosch bits? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Any brand will work. Make sure they will fit your collet.
Bill Hylton's "Woodworking With the Router" is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Roger

Unfortunately, all bits are not created equal. There have been any number of comparison tests run by various wood worker magazines. Opinions vary but I have my personal likes and dislikes.

Dislike:
1. Brand X bits sold by Harbor Freight, Northern Equipment, and other discount stores.
2. Chinese or other Asian Bits.

1. Whitesite
2. Infiniti
3. Kataka
4. Bosch
5. Freud

I prefer 1/2" dia to 1/4" dia shanks. But of course many trim routers don't accept 1/2" bits.

"you pays your money and you takes your chance".

Regard
Ben

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere (search "free router book") for a free download of Taunton's Complete Guide to Routers. Lots of good fundamental info. I downloaded the free version and have flipped around it enough to be willing to buy a paper copy. All i need to do is remeber to do that.

Yesterday i got my copy of Bill Hylton's "Router Magic"--WOW!! I've spent about 30 minutes with it, and the jigs/plans/tips are incredible and spelled out simply enough for me to understand. Much i won't ever get to--but very much that i will use for sure. I got mine on e-bay, only a few there and fewer at Amazon.

Good luck.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Which book do you recommend for the reader new to routing? Also, I have a Bosch router, will any brand of bits work or should I only order Bosch bits? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, Roger.

1. The Router Book by Pat Warner.
2. Router Magic by Bill Hylton.
3. Complete Illustrated Guide to Routers by Lonnie Bird (available free on the forum).

I believe in the use of a small set of bits for beginners. When you learn which you favour and what you can do with then, replace those bits with the higher cost brands.

There is no need to stick exclusively with Bosch bits. As you can tell from the previous responses, there are a number of quality bits available.

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
The other guys have covered bits, and way better than I could.

For books, if you want to own one, I'd say hit your local library, see what they have, see which ones you like, then go thru them. If you find some you want to buy, I'd hit a good used bookstore or three, 'cause new books are expensive. Or, Amazon usually has used copies of almost all the books they list - I seldom, very seldom, buy any new book anymore, unless it's one of the new Terry Pratchett books.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts