Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Just found a deal near me for an old Bosch jig saw 1581vs. From what I can tell from googling - this is a pretty old tool (late 80s / early 90s) - but I get the sense that it was pretty well respected in its time. The saw is on sale for just $20 - so seems like a good deal.

What I'm trying to figure out - should I get this saw or am I better off going with a newer, cheap model like the Black and Decker 5 amp jig saw you can get brand new on Amazon for $30? Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have a real old Dewalt and the blades seem to be hard to find. I rarely use it now days so it could be me. Did they change the jigsaw blades style?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a Bosch of about the same vintage except the barrel body model. It is a great saw, smooth and still cuts to a straight line. If the saw is in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate buying it - although it may be worth looking at the availability of replacement parts. Couldn't give you a hint on parts though as I haven't done anything to mine except clean it off occasionally.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi, . Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

I personally would not touch the black and decker, at any price. The "pretty old tool" will cut circles around it IMHO. I have a similar one, not sure of the model atm, but mine does not have the top handle, and it performs flawlessly.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi and welcome. I agree with Brian. It's like the difference between a toy and a tool. Even as old as it is it might outlast a new B & D. Just make sure it doesn't use some odd ball blade type.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
it uses current blades..
take your pick...
parts are still available...

Attachments

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Aw come on Stick. Don't you secretly want an old Dewalt jigsaw?
the tools aren't bad...
it's the company and their CS that sucks...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bosch professional tools the blue line are top quality. Also theyr vintage tools are good. I hava a drill from the late 1960' and the only thing it needs is the carbon for the contactor. The green line I wouldnt touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts