Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used Bosch 1617 ESV off ebay. I've been checking every thing out and there seem s to be an issue with the fine adjustment. It is binding at about the middle of the adjustment range. Is this a problem with this Bosch model in general or do you think there's something wrong with this particular unit? I did take the motor out of the base and checked the adjustment threads. There did not appear to be saw dust or chips causing the problem. Maybe I'm not seating the motor properly in the base? Need some help so I can decide to keep it or send it back.:confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm jealous. I want one of those. I'm waiting for Lowes to put them on sale but I think that I am wasting my time. I just wrote to Bosch and asked them when it would be on sale or if they have any coupons or rebates that would help to get the price down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always rub the motors down with Johnson's Paste Wax on my 1617's and any router with a removeable motor. Let the wax dry then buff it off with a clean rag. That seems to keep them operating very free plus they go in and out of the bases easily.
It's cheap and might help your situation.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I always rub the motors down with Johnson's Paste Wax on my 1617's and any router with a removeable motor. Let the wax dry then buff it off with a clean rag. That seems to keep them operating very free plus they go in and out of the bases easily.
+1 on the waxing. I had the same problem with the bases binding. Cleaned up any rough edges on the sliding surfaces and then wax the motor unit. Works a treat. Have to re-wax once in a while, but that's nothing when one keeps a good router running.

Cassandra

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually thought about doing that, but the stupid side of my brain said that's too obvious, its got to be the fine adjustment mechanism. Well, sure enough, I applied some wax (and a little moly lub on the fine adjust threads), and voila', everythings as smooth as a newborn's backside!

Oh yeah, I had been thinking about getting one from Lowes' also, since they seemed to have the best new price anywhere. Then the other side of my brain kicked in (the cheap side) and I was able to snatch a used one up off ebay for a $100.00 less delivered than Lowes. Only moderate wear on the fixed base plate and the plunge base doesn't even look like its ever been used.:dance3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts