Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.amazon.ca/1617EVSPK-4-H...id=1597986489&sprefix=Bosch+16,aps,199&sr=8-3

Guys I’m not very familiar with the under table base the 1617 uses . Is it worth purchasing this bundle , and have others had any issues with the under table base ?
I would certainly use it if it’s any good , but I’m curious as to how you change bits .
I’m assuming you release the motor and drop it to change bits , or is there a better way?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Rick while I do have the 1617EVSPK I don't have the under table base and can see where you could make some adjustments but to raise and lower the unit for bit changes I don't think you'll have that range without loosening the motor clamp and raising it just like using by hand. I skipped that route and bought/installed a proper router lift which while more expensive is well worth the extra cost especially considering how much I use mine. I guess it would depend on how often you change bits and how close you set the motor to the actual cut height you need initially. Personally I'd put that lift cost towards a router lift like the Jess Em Rout-R-Lift II or better yet the Mast-R-Lift II but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick while I do have the 1617EVSPK I don't have the under table base and can see where you could make some adjustments but to raise and lower the unit for bit changes I don't think you'll have that range without loosening the motor clamp and raising it just like using by hand. I skipped that route and bought/installed a proper router lift which while more expensive is well worth the extra cost especially considering how much I use mine. I guess it would depend on how often you change bits and how close you set the motor to the actual cut height you need initially. Personally I'd put that lift cost towards a router lift like the Jess Em Rout-R-Lift II or better yet the Mast-R-Lift II but that's my opinion.
I didn’t like the part where you loosen off the clamp underneath, only because if you had a dust collector box around it , it would probably be more challenging every time you made adjustments .
I think I’ll buy the 1617EVS, as it’s priced fairly low and will get me into a Bosch

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00004TKHV...olid=1ERD0WM4W7HOV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Put a Musclechuck on it and you can lift it up as high as it will go and change it that way. You can use a ball end 4mm hex wrench which will go in at an angle if needed. Putting the MC on my M12V2 was a major improvement even though I lift it out to change bits.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I did the under table drill with my 1617 fixed base router. What I found was that the router has to be unclamped to be raised and lowered. So you unclamp it and raise it up and change bits then lower the motor to set the bit height ,then reclamp it.
There is a slight change in height when it is reclamped and so you unclamp again and compensate for the slight height change then reclamp. There is a clip made of spring steel that stops the travel of the motor on the adjustment screw which can be sprung enough to let the motor drop out of the base .VOE And fall to the floor or what ever.
The solution is to do like Chuck suggests and get a muscle chuck to prevent this, but you still have to reach under and clamp/ unclamp. On my old milwaukee I would lift it out and set it on the table and do all this then set it back in place, that is another option. But since having a lift in my jessem table and being able to set height while the router is running ,I will always have go to lifts, which I did with the Bosch.
Once you experience the use of a lift where you can make a cut 1/8" deep and without shutting off the router motor, raise the bit another 1/8", again and again, until you reach the depth you want , you will really appreciate the lift. Then combine that with a Muscle chuck and you have reached the best of the best.
Herb

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have me thinking lift here . This wasn’t going to be my main router , but installed under the wing of my table saw that has my pc690 currently bolted underneath .
I’m wanting to see if I can use my pc690 in my circle jig , as the Makita in there now has terrible play in its plunge action

·
Registered
530 Posts
You guys have me thinking lift here . This wasn’t going to be my main router , but installed under the wing of my table saw that has my pc690 currently bolted underneath .
I’m wanting to see if I can use my pc690 in my circle jig , as the Makita in there now has terrible play in its plunge action
Rick, which Makita do you have? I am surprised to hear of sloppy plunge. The newer models have a linear bearing on one of the shafts - particularly smooth plunge, maybe the best in the business. Even my venerable 3612c has reasonable plunge, and is practically bullet-proof in other regards.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used a Bosch 23 on a table. It used the same type of under table base. The main issue is that you are only lifting on one side of the motor. I.e. you are trying to lift a cylinder inside a snug tube by pulling it up with one hand on a side so the motor has a tendency to bind. A lift uses 2 screws, opposite of each other to lift the cylinder(motor)

Hopefully that makes sense

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a Bosch 23 on a table. It used the same type of under table base. The main issue is that you are only lifting on one side of the motor. I.e. you are trying to lift a cylinder inside a snug tube by pulling it up with one hand on a side so the motor has a tendency to bind. A lift uses 2 screws, opposite of each other to lift the cylinder(motor)

Hopefully that makes sense
That’s an excellent point , and explains why a few reviews on Amazon complained about binding .
Thanks again Charlie . I won’t be ordering this base

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
That’s an excellent point , and explains why a few reviews on Amazon complained about binding .
Thanks again Charlie . I won’t be ordering this base
that's because of them not doing any maint nor using drylube...

Reactions: Charlie68

·
Registered
508 Posts
I kind of considered that to
I tried lubing with mine and it made no difference - that base would need some nonstick pads to pull that heavy motor up using that wimpy mechanical train, which isn’t a lasting construction in itself. Mine broke soon after I started using it. Just under built and poorly conceived. For ease of use, a proper third party lift is needed and there are plenty to choose from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts