Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you use the 2 HP Bosch 1617 for routing raised panels (3.5" bit) or do I have to switch to the 3 HP 1619? I have the 2 HP mounted in a table, and may have to get another mounting plate to attached the 1619 if that is what it takes.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
just take smaller/shallower bites and run the router at slower speed...

Attachments

Reactions: Stargate

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Could you use the 2 HP Bosch 1617 for routing raised panels (3.5" bit) or do I have to switch to the 3 HP 1619? I have the 2 HP mounted in a table, and may have to get another mounting plate to attached the 1619 if that is what it takes.
The answer is yes. Run the 1617 at it's slowest speed and make several passes, cutting off a little more each time until you get the desired result.

However, more HP will make the job easier. :)
I have done it both ways. I Used the 1617 for one set of cabinets. By the time I got ready to build the second set, I had purchased the Triton 3 1/4 HP router. It just loafed along. I still made several passes.

Here's a few pics of the 1617. My setup looks weird because the big cutter wouldn't fit through the opening in the Rockler Group "A" plate. I had to add on an auxiliary table top and install the big cutter from above the table. It worked just fine after that.

Note: I changed insert plates to the Kreg models. They have a larger opening so no problems.

Here's my router table.
http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/46562-adjustable-height-workstation-router-table-more.html

Hope this helps.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Mike how would you do a veneered panel? would a solid band around the outside have to be glued on so the profile is not showing plywood?

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Mike how would you do a veneered panel? would a solid band around the outside have to be glued on so the profile is not showing plywood?

Herb
are you using plywood for the rail and stiles or cutting a RP profile into plywood panels???...

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts

Herb
I really don't know. Without an edge band of about two inches in width (or more), the inner parts of the panel will be visible as the cutter removes the material.

That might require some test cuts to see what the result would look like.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
are you using plywood for the rail and stiles or cutting a RP profile into plywood panels???...
I was thinking of a plywood veneered panel with the raised panel profile and a solid wood rail and stile.
But I wouldn't want the raised panel profile to show plywood edge.

Herb

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
You asked this question in two different threads and I responded in the other one here: http://www.routerforums.com/portable-routing/69922-bosch-1917-vs-1619-a.html#post700490
LOL, I hadn't got back to that post yet, thanks for the answer.
But my dilemma here is I would use the router table and a raised panel bit to cut the edge profile on the panel. I want to use veneered plywood for the panel, and don't want the plywood edge grain to show in the raised cut area around the center panel. Then these panels would be installed into solid wood rails and stiles.

Herb

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Herb, my post was directed to N/a. You would have to glue solid wood to all four edges of the plywood to hide the lamination's on the raised panels. That means gluing up a bunch of short sections for the top and bottom edges so the grain is in the proper orientation but you would never get it to match the veneered panel. This is why panels are built from solid wood. (Unless they are being painted)

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Here is my example. i haven't figured out how to use the Follow Me tool yet in Sketchup so I couldn't create the profile around the panel.

It looks to me like you would have to make a panel using plywood and four pieces of matching hardwood. After you cut the profile, the veneer should stand proud and the hardwood would show but no plywood would be visible.

Then you could veneer the back side.
Sounds like a lot of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I was thinking of a plywood veneered panel with the raised panel profile and a solid wood rail and stile.
But I wouldn't want the raised panel profile to show plywood edge.

Herb
stain or paint???...
how many plies???...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Here is my example. i haven't figured out how to use the Follow Me tool yet in Sketchup so I couldn't create the profile around the panel.

It looks to me like you would have to make a panel using plywood and four pieces of matching hardwood. After you cut the profile, the veneer should stand proud and the hardwood would show but no plywood would be visible.

Then you could veneer the back side.
Sounds like a lot of work.
Herb, my post was directed to N/a. You would have to glue solid wood to all four edges of the plywood to hide the lamination's on the raised panels. That means gluing up a bunch of short sections for the top and bottom edges so the grain is in the proper orientation but you would never get it to match the veneered panel. This is why panels are built from solid wood. (Unless they are being painted)

Thanks , Mike and MikeST, that is what I was asking about. The reason I even asked was that I have some nice veneered plywood and was thinking of ways to use it in a raised panel set-up.

Herb

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Herb; wouldn't it simpler to just make up solid wood door panels? Or do Shaker style doors using ply for the panels? Or make up thinner solid panels to overlay onto the plywood? 1/2" solid on 1/4" ply...but I think you'd hate the grain effect with that.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Why not just use solid panels what the advantage of the veneer

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I have this pick-up load of really nice veneer, lots of black walnut and other kinds of veneer that was given to me and I want to use it. At the cost of these kinds of solid woods, it is a virtual fortune in nice looking wood. It would be a shame to throw it away. I have already laid up a lot of it on 1/2" birch plywood and now am figuring out ways to use it to make things.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Herb; wouldn't it simpler to just make up solid wood door panels? Or do Shaker style doors using ply for the panels? Or make up thinner solid panels to overlay onto the plywood? 1/2" solid on 1/4" ply...but I think you'd hate the grain effect with that.
Why not just use solid panels what the advantage of the veneer
need a shipping address???...
Do you do veneering ?
Herb

1 - 20 of 38 Posts