Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering this router for table work, as my old school workhorse Porter Cable 690 is starting to growl. i see that the BOSCH says it can be adjusted from above the table. i thought i was going to have to buy a router lift also, but if this adjustability does the trick, maybe i don't have to.

any BOSCH 1617EVS owners out there willing to share how well the "above table" adjustment works - do you still need a router lift?

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Hi, The base for that is about $53 and includes a key. The setup works OK, but you must loosen the clamp on the base, set the aproximate height of the bit, then the key uses the fine adjustment knob to set the final height. I looked the base up on Amazon. RA1165 https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1165...d=1&keywords=Bosch+base&qid=1613159960&sr=8-3

Most router lifts start at about $200, but they allow you more easily to adjust the router to any height, including for bit changes in most cases

There is one other option to consider, which is the Triton TRA001, which sells for about the same as the 1617 and the RA 1165. It is a more powerful router by one hp. but is is particularly good for in table use. It has a number of safety features, and the lift is built in. To use it in the table, you remove a spring (simple) and it's ready to go. You could use it freehand as plunge router, but it is too beefy for me to manage it that way. I used the 1617 in the table for several years, then switched to the Triton.

I didn't understand why people had several routers until I freed up my Bosch from the table. It is really nice to have more than one because I don't have to mess with taking it in and out of the table. Much more convenient to use.

Just more input for your consideration. You can't go wrong with the 1617 in the EVSPK kit, which comes with the fixed and plunge bases. I just looked it up on Amazon, for $218 a bit less than they used to go for. Amazon.com : bosch 1617evspk

·
Premium Member
19,700 Posts
Oh, btw, welcome to the Forum. It's a great place with lots of help available from some nice people.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

I have had good luck with Bosch tools but their table lift design needs work imho.

I had a Bosch 23 and the 1617 kit. Both models use the same lift design. I used the Bosch 23 in a table for several years. The issue I had that when the unit was new I could un-clamp it, adjust height and then re-clamp the unit. I could trust my fine adjustment to be right. As the unit got older and more used, the unit would never re-clamp in exactly the same spot. I would try to adjust for a height change of .020 inch and I might get .010 or .030 inch.

The thing is that Bosch makes their motor bodies with a relatively rough outer surface so they do not slide well in their bases. You need to keep the base to motor body surfaces lubricated but finding a grease/oil that does not attract sawdust can be a challenge.

The other issue is that the fine adjustment rod that lifts the motor body is attached with a little C clip. If the motor binds very much as you do your fine adjustment, that C clip will pop off.

You will then have to pull the router out of the table and play hide and seek with that C clip.

I use the 1617 for free hand routing and I really like it. I have a PC unit with a JessEm lift for my table but that increased my cost quite a bit.

I have no experience with Triton but a lot of forum people like to use a Triton for a table router. They say it has a built in lift mechanism that is much more reliable than Bosch’s and is a cheaper way to get started with a table.

Reactions: TimPa

·
Registered
471 Posts
Considering this router for table work, as my old school workhorse Porter Cable 690 is starting to growl. i see that the BOSCH says it can be adjusted from above the table. i thought i was going to have to buy a router lift also, but if this adjustability does the trick, maybe i don't have to.

any BOSCH 1617EVS owners out there willing to share how well the "above table" adjustment works - do you still need a router lift?
I have the exact setup you are speaking of that you may purchase. It has already been mentioned, the inconvenience of raising the router. I hate dealing with this problem as it time consuming and awkward. If by chance you forget to reclamp the router, you may have a very serious accident. I was going to buy a different lift for the table. None of the lift plates will fit in the router table without modifying the original opening. I am going to sell my table and purchase a different table and lift. If Ican;t sell it, I am still going to buy a different setup. There is one other thing I would like to note here, the router you have mentioned is plenty strong for all that I have needed to do. I hope this may be of some help to you in making a decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts