Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I'm definetly sold with the Bosch router. I bought one from ebay for a really good price. It is a Bosch 1617vs with a fixed base. Got it to decate it to my bigger router table. And I must have to admit that after being a porter cable person for the past 4 years that the bosch has it beat. I know there is a horse power difference but from aside from this the Bosch with the soft start and seemed like I turned on a hybrid tablesaw the noise from this router was a whole lot less then the Porter cable 690 it didnt bog down as much as Porter cable router. I like the wrench system better and the height adjustment to be a whole lot easier then the porter cable. I do have both models in the table. The bigger table uses the bosch and the Pc is used in my smaller table. So after using it today I'm sold onto it. So that brings my count of routers to 3 plunge routers and 3 fixed base. Boy come to think of it I feel like a golfer now do I use the three iron or the wood . :eek:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Glenmore

Not ever owning either I can't compare, but I will say this you have quite a collection of routers. I have two, and one is cheap and gutless. :)

I hope you enjoy your new toy :)

John

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Guys

I don't have a Bosch 1617vs but I do have many PC routers and do like them a lot but for the last year or so I have been going over to the Craftsman routers, the new one I got is just like a Bosch and I got it at less than 1/2 the price of the Bosch...

The Craftsman comes with ever thing you need in one kit :) plus you can adjust the router from the top of the router table... it's a real hard one to beat.... :)
http://www.routerforums.com/bargain-bin/9222-craftsman-3-base-router-killer-deal.html

===========

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVS...f=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220571783&sr=1-22

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVS...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220571783&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617PK-...f=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220571783&sr=1-14

http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/fixed-base_routers/1617evs.html

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1162-...f=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220572008&sr=1-26

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1173-...ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1220572091&sr=1-7

====

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I couldn't beat the price. With shipping and handling I got the router for 81.00 and 20.00 S/H so I had to buy it . The only reason I did is because it has more horsepower then the others. And man I glad I did. Bj I bought it from the ebay auction. They do have the ebay stores but they are a lot more.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Glenmore

How about sharing the eBay address maybe someone may want to get one also. :)

Can't have tooooooo many routers :) :)

========

I couldn't beat the price. With shipping and handling I got the router for 81.00 and 20.00 S/H so I had to buy it . The only reason I did is because it has more horsepower then the others. And man I glad I did.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Bj, I thought you were leaning towards Craftsman,,,, :) now Bosch? Humm! any old router in the storm huh. :) Ho yea thats right "Can't have tooooooo many routers". :)

That said Glenmore you should have bought 20 and resold for $100. That is a great price.

Good buy
John

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi John

You can't judge if you don't have one or to say review one and I do like routers.. :)

I do have a Bosch Colt and I like that little sucker :)

So we will see what the link looks like when Glen post it..

========

Bj, I thought you were leaning towards Craftsman,,,, :) now Bosch? Humm! any old router in the storm huh. :) Ho yea thats right "Can't have tooooooo many routers". :)

That said Glenmore you should have bought 20 and resold for $100. That is a great price.

Good buy
John

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Glen

" They do have the ebay stores but they are a lot more"

The same link will do, I don't mind asking them if they have one more it can't hurt to ask , I am a bit forward that way.. :) and I dig and dig when I see a deal... :)

Thanks
Bj

I couldn't beat the price. With shipping and handling I got the router for 81.00 and 20.00 S/H so I had to buy it . The only reason I did is because it has more horsepower then the others. And man I glad I did. Bj I bought it from the ebay auction. They do have the ebay stores but they are a lot more.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bj I went through the auction and bidded on this one it was the only one this person had. So you have to go down the list of routers to see if you can find the deal and bid on it. Sorry don't have a link from the person that sold it to me.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
OK Glen

Do you have the user name ( eBay user Name ) I can find him that way or your user name then I can find the item..
Or just the eBay number will do it also..
If you paid for it with PayPal they will also have that info on hand.
Plus your Feed back on eBay will show the item and number..if you paid for it by check/COD ...
Many,Many ways to track items on eBay :)

Thanks
BJ
=====

Bj I went through the auction and bidded on this one it was the only one this person had. So you have to go down the list of routers to see if you can find the deal and bid on it. Sorry don't have a link from the person that sold it to me.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Glenmore,

So that brings my count of routers to 3 plunge routers and 3 fixed base
:D :D :D

You do realise you are going to have to prise your self away from the lathe and show us some results with the router.....

James

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Glenmore

hahahahahahahahaha thanks

Bj

" Bj did like you said the person doesn't have anything listed on ebay but here is a link to find some deals hopefully.
"

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
There is really no comparison between the PC, Craftsman and Bosch. No matter how others try to copy the 1617 design they are not equalling the quality and performance. Once you try one you will be hooked.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Glenmore

Thanks for taking the time to post the link :)

But I'm almost sure the Bosch nuts will push the price up on that one, I would guess it will go for 150.oo to 200.oo plus 22.oo shipping charges..

Many eBay buyers/bidders don't do the home work b/4 they place a bid..

=========

Here Bj and others here is a really good deal on a bosch fixed and plunge base on ebay the nice thing about this is there is no reserve. Happy bidding to anyone that is interested. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280265470414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Glenmore

Just a update, it sold for just about list price 162.oo plus shipping of 22.oo

=======

Hi Glenmore

Thanks for taking the time to post the link :)

But I'm almost sure the Bosch nuts will push the price up on that one, I would guess it will go for 150.oo to 200.oo plus 22.oo shipping charges..

Many eBay buyers/bidders don't do the home work b/4 they place a bid..

=========

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Glenmore

Just a update, it sold for just about list price 162.oo plus shipping of 22.oo

=======
Yep you beat me to the posting of it Bj not to bad for a combo set though. Well I'll keep looking. I know what you mean though some people are just plain uneducated when it comes to bidding. Have to laugh they are paying and bidding as much as when you go to the places to buy the same item then they have to add the shipping. I call them auction armatures I went to auctions for years and have some savvy about how to bid. So I luck out. hahaha :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bosch or PC

Both the Bosch 1617 and the PC 690 are nice routers. But I think a better comparison w/b to the PC 890 series routers. PC made some very nice improvements on this router. I actually have (2) of the 890 series routers. Incredible router. Sold both of the 690 series when I upgraded to the 890's. Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never used a PC. I tend to overreact to brand loyalty which PC has a lot of but their reviews do seem a little too mixed for the price. And what is with people shelling out 600 bucks for those old locomotive belt sanders? Is it really about the performance or is it just that they're so darn cool-lookin'?

I'm not afraid to admit that I'd love to have one for that reason alone but not for 600 bucks. The Makita I have almost performs too well for about a 1/5th of that.

But enough about my ADD, the 1617 would definitely be my first choice for a 2.25hp router after a lot of reading/researching/review-scouring. Bosch doesn't do every tool right, but when they do, their stuff is dead on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts