Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am new to the forum, not much depth of experience in using a router. I bought a replacement Bosch 1671 Fixed / Plunge router kit and a Kreg Router Table PRS 1045. I detest the fine depth adjustment on the Fixed Base when installed in the router table. Very poor / light duty system.

Does anyone else have the same concerns? Any cheap economical solutions?

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum @David22 .

Some routers do not seem to have been designed with in table use in mind, especially some US based fixed base routers. That is why I am so happy with my Tritons.
Have you tried thr plunge router kit in the table?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum @David22 .

Some routers do not seem to have been designed with in table use in mind, especially some US based fixed base routers. That is why I am so happy with my Tritons.
Have you tried thr plunge router kit in the table?
Hello James:

No I have only used the Fixed Base, it has an allen wrench adjustment that fits through the table. The Bosch Plunger style doesn't; plus with a bigger base and different base mounting holes would make it awkward for the router table use

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello:

I am new to the forum, not much depth of experience in using a router. I bought a replacement Bosch 1671 Fixed / Plunge router kit and a Kreg Router Table PRS 1045. I detest the fine depth adjustment on the Fixed Base when installed in the router table. Very poor / light duty system.

On your fixed you can adjn be adjusted from the top of the tust the height from the top of the table
Hello:

The fixed router ca
Hello James:

No I have only used the Fixed Base, it has an allen wrench adjustment that fits through the table. The Bosch Plunger style doesn't; plus with a bigger base and different base mounting holes would make it awkward for the router table use
I agree with the above.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
G'day @Bosch , welcome to the forum..

Would you like to to tell us a bit about yourself, in the new members introduction section?

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Welcome. I found that you have to have the motor loose in the the base, then push it up to near the height you want, then clamp it tight. I vaguely recall that it required a twist to lock the aproximate height. The fine adjustment only works within a short range. I never had any problem setting bit height, but I replaced it with a Triton TRA001. I reserve the 1617 for freehand use.

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
There are a lot of lifts for the 1617. But many are near the cost of a Triton which has it built in. I had a Rockler lift, but it kept slipping and ruining pieces. I keep my1617s for hand held work. The extra power of the Triton TRA001 is really nice to have, and I really like the safety interlocks and dust collection attachments.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Hi @weswitt

The newer Tritons, for many years, incorporate an above table winder.

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
It comes with a crank handle on a long shaft that engages with the height adjustment on the router. You have to remove a long spring from one of the tubes, but it has a threaded top on that tube so It's easy and quick. Be sure to save the spring in a safe place.
Toy Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

It has a lever to lock it at whatever height you set. You can also crank it all the way up to change bits. It turns the power switch off, and locks the spindle. It also has a pushbutton spindle lock in case you want to retain the height setting when using matched bits.

Several companies make matched bits, which are set up so that you can drop each bit in the set into the collet and the cut will align perfectly. To make that work you drop a 1/2 inch GROMMET (not an O ring) into the collet so the bit set always bottoms out on the grommet.

With the spindle lock lever set, the bit will stay in alignment. This is really nice for making face frames with different profiles. My door sets are all from Marc Sommerfeld, but a few other makers produce matched sets, including Freud. Sommerfeld makes a set of star EasySets (see pix) for both his and the freud matched door sets. These are terrific for setting that first, crucial bit height because they adjust to the thickness of the workpiece. They are brilliant and work with all door sets from the two makers. Yellow for Sommerfeld, red for Freud.
Analog watch Watch accessory Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Gas

Sommerfeld has a lot of youtube videos on cabinet building using the Triton. It includes elegantly simple ways of working with a table router.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts