Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken delivery of my 1st ever router (Bosch 1200AE) so am a complete novice. It comes with 3 collets 6mm, 8mm and 1/4". However, how do I know which collet is which?

Attached is a photo of the 3 collets. No 1 was attached and 2 and 3 separate. No 3 has notches on the side of the nut and the tops are all different. Nothing in the manual saying which is which. I don't want to mess up and insert bits into the wrong size collet. My bits are all 1/4" and I don't know which is the 1/4" collet.

Any advice to a novice would be appreciated.
Electronic component Technology Electronic device Electronics Circuit component
Technology Nut Electronic device

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum
The easiest way to determine what type of collet your machine has is to measure the length and diameter of the collet. All collets have a distinctive length and diameter.
they have a measuring guide on this link
also might call Bosch customer service
you need a set calipers
here is a video
www.cutter-shop.com › information
Collet Measuring Guide - Information - Cutter Shop

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
@Hollywin,
No 3 in your picture has the largest inner diameter, and has to be the 8mm collet. Make sure (by measuring with a vernier) that your bits are indeed 1/4". Bits that are 1/4" will not slide into the 6mm collet, whereas 6mm bits will go into both, but should NOT be used with the 1/4" collet. Colour-code with a dot of paint.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The very simplest way is to put the bit into the collet.
If the bit wont go in without forcing, its wrong.
If the bit falls in and goes right to the bottom and slops about, its wrong.
The correct bit for the collet in question will be a slight friction sliding fit and will only need to be finger tightened plus a quarter turn with the wrench.
But you cant really woodwork without a vernier caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.