Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of finishing one of the most accuracy demanding projects I've taken on since starting woodworking in retirement 8 years ago. The article showed up on my Google interest listing as a Popular Woodworking republish in June, 2020. Search the Internet for "popularwoodworking arts-crafts-occasional-table". You'll be making a re-production of a 1901 on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York that relates back to Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott who was in the forefront of the Arts & Crafts movement. Read the article very, very carefully and make the suggested full scale layout of one side. There are several dimension errors in the article so triple check everything. The supplied pattern was not quite fitting my layout; too short, so be careful.

The title router guide made cutting out the 22 inch round top of 11/16" thickness really easy using a 1/4" up cut bit in three passes. The passes matched each other so well I only had to light sand the edge. It has a very accurate horizontal edge guide adjustment and has a really neat reconfiguration capability to pivot around a supplied center that taps down to the work. No need for even a tiny nail hole to fix. Think rounds up to 24" diameter are possible. In addition I made a drilling guide that fit between the rods to angle drill the top as called for in the article. This guide fits both the 2 1/4 HP as well as the small 1 hp. Used the smaller router for cutting this top out with no issues with needed power.

The article calls for making a tapering jig with a special indexing head. Once I understood the geometry of making an octagon out of a rectangular leg cross-section was able to taper the legs with a bandsaw on 4 faces and hand plane the other four faces. Made two prototypes of the leg cross-section and tapering to be sure the faces tying to the stretchers were exactly 60 deg apart (make a test tool out of hardboard with a 120 deg internal angle).

The wood is quarter sawn Sycamore, which I plan to finish via French Polishing as soon as my order of pumice and 0000 steel wool arrives today. Have fun!
Furniture Table Stool Hardwood Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
What a beutiful little table. Great lines and I like that slight curve on the leg braces. I also have that guide. It is an amazing accessory and the precision is great. You've been taking on some interesting projects!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.