Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to set up my router and table, have never used it and it was partially disassembled when I moved. I think I found the right screws and nuts to mount the metal plate that holds the router, but none of the 4 of them tighten all the way. I know I have the right holes, attach nut from the bottom, but doesn't tighten down. Do I need to use a wrench and force them?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jenny...I have the 1181 but am not familiar with the "four screws" you speak of...can you be more specific...? Maybe a picture...? Or reference to the parts diagram...?

There are (EDIT) six adjustment screws for leveling which you should concentrate on first...then the other four screws to help secure the plate.

If you are referring to the screws on each of the corners, yes they need to be snug but not overtight as they would counteract the adjustment screws.

The procedure is to leave enough slack in the four screws so that the other six screws have enough room to allow the plate to go up and down (leveling). Once you have leveled the plate, with a straight edge, to the rest of the table, the four screws are then snug down to hold the plate. If you overtighten them (the four screws) you will find that you will sink the plate a little lower and then need to readjust the other six screws. Kinda like a small balancing act. After you've done this successfully, check those four screws after using the table for a while to make sure they have not loosened from the vibration.

Does this help...?

Reactions: JennyMM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, yes, that helps. I have the plate leveled. It is the 4 screws that I can't seem to get tightened but pretty sure I'm using the right ones. Here's 2 photos identifying them. The nut threads smoothly only until the screw is set, can't get beyond that. Thus, the screw doesn't stick out below the nut, leaving almost 3/4" of play where the screw can be pushed up and down in the hole. Hope that makes sense.

My question is, should they actually be tight to snug the plate to the table? If so, do I force it with a wrench on the nut? That seems wrong since it would be so much effort to remove the router and router plate.

The second photo came from some video; it looks exactly like what I'm trying to use, even the nut.

Thanks, hope you have an answer!
Jenny

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
keep turning...
that's a nylock nut...
hold the nut w/ a wrench and keep turning the screw...
the nylon insert generates a lot of friction so the screw will turn hard...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
cool...
hammer nail...

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, will get a wrench on the nut and try harder. I just find it hard to believe that it should be this hard, considering you fairly often will want to remove the plate ...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
OK, will get a wrench on the nut and try harder. I just find it hard to believe that it should be this hard, considering you fairly often will want to remove the plate ...
the idea is for the nut to stay tight despite vibration..
why do you need to remove the plate often...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If I understand you correctly, Jenny, many of the members don't screw their plates down at all. As long as the plate is a really nice fit to the aperture in the table, the weight of the router hanging from it stops it from moving.
From past discussions on this, apparently simply lifting the router & plate out to make adjustments is a popular approach to adjusting bit height/changing bits/ etc.
I'm just the messenger...I still haven't built my table.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just thought I'd have to remove the plate frequently, like to change collets, etc. But, I really don't know since I haven't even tried anything yet. Just trying to get set up right.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
so secure the plate...
use a 1617 and don't unsecure the plate...
my TR plate isn't secured...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yes, your Milwaukee is a good router...
but one router is never enough...
when yur using more than one style of bit on a project...
or after a couple of in/out of table experiences you'll know...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yes, your Milwaukee is a good router...
but one router is never enough...
when yur using more than one style of bit on a project...
or after a couple of in/out of table experiences you'll know...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I just thought I'd have to remove the plate frequently, like to change collets, etc. But, I really don't know since I haven't even tried anything yet. Just trying to get set up right.
I've never screwed mine down because it is so much easier to change bits with it out and laying on it's side. Also major height changes are quicker that way. I might add though that it is much easier to change bits if you have the one wrench system where there is a shaft locking mechanism on the router. If you have a 2 wrench system then you may not find it any easier to take it out.

One of the other things that make taking the router out handier is that the router and plate can be used to edge profile where you need the router to be more steady. Normally when edge profiling only about 40%-45% (at best) of the base of the router is sitting on the work. Using the table insert plate with it makes it quite a bit steadier. You can look up offset router plates if you want to see more about that.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Both of mine routers/insert plates just sit in the recessed ledge. My table is a little different than yours. I also use it for other things, so when the router(s) aren't needed, I lift them out and insert a blank plate.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.