Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We stopped in at our local Habitat ReStore today to look around. First time there, but I will be going back tomorrow! I didn't bring the truck. :frown:

There were several tools marked down to a really fair price. And then there was this guy (see pic below). Bosch Router Guide for $14. Hardly used - no dings cuts or scrapes! :surprise: It just so happens I have two routers that it will work on. :grin:

Then I found all sorts of lumber stacked in the back. One piece caught my eye. I am going back after it. It appears to be at least 10 feet long, and maybe 12. 1x6 Clear pine!:surprise: And there was another one beside it. They were marked $2.00 each.

And...I found several four packs of 1 x12 white pine which had been shelving at one time. Each pack was marked $28! Currently The big box stores are selling this stuff for about $18 for 1x12x8' complete with cupping included!!!

Pallets $5.99 each. Possible wine rack material and I don't have to go look for them! :grin::grin::grin:

Yeah, I am going back tomorrow.

Note: I don't need any of the power tools, but they were fun to look at. Anybody need a radial arm saw? There wre at leat four for sale. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have one in my town and like you I have never been to it. That is going to change.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you have a way more gooder store than ours...

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Greta catch on the Bosch edge guide, Mike! Did it have the circle cutting attachment? Basically just a pivot that goes in that hole on the x-bar.
If you have any questions on the circle issue, I can take a couple of pictures of mine assembled to cut one.

I neither buy nor contribute to our local Habitat store. The stuff there is nearly retail in price...with no guarantees.
Unfortunate really; my next door neighbour volunteers there, and is always after me to donate stuff.
I'm thinking that they don't pay their staff, pay nothing for their stock, and take business away from the local merchants that do; how is that fair?
Good in theory until you drill down.
I try and support the local guys that put money back into the community.
Sorry to be a grinch...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Greta catch on the Bosch edge guide, Mike! Did it have the circle cutting attachment? Basically just a pivot that goes in that hole on the x-bar.
If you have any questions on the circle issue, I can take a couple of pictures of mine assembled to cut one.

The stuff there is nearly retail in price...with no guarantees.

Sorry to be a grinch...
It's a "Re-use It" store in Grande Prairie, Ab. They must have gone to the same business school.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went back and bought three pallets and the two boards I spotted yesterday. About $25 total.
The boards are 1x6x10 feet in length! $2.00USD each. I already have an idea where some of the material will be used.

The pallets got wet yesterday during an afternoon rainstorm so they will need to sit outside once the heat returns.

I'm thinking about making some rustic wine racks and maybe a liker rack. There is enough wood for at least four racks with some wood left over for repairs or adding to the racks. Might get a fifth one also.

I have friends and family on social media, and so does my wife and our daughters, and their friends have friends! I think all I have to do is post one and it will be on! :surprise::grin::grin::grin:

Lots of possibilities. :smile:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...zY45HOAhUBEz4KHaMVAjMQsAQIaA&biw=1207&bih=575

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There are 2 Habitat stores in the city about 25 miles from me. Prices there approach retail, and the inventory isn't near what they ask for it. For $2 here, I could probably buy a warped particle board table leaf--with chips on all the edges!!

I went to one in North Carolina a few years ago--wished i'd had a box truck on that trip. So...pricing seems to be somewhat local. Great cause, but locally it's cheaper to make a donation and/or work on a build. Now that is fun and rewarding!!

earl

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A few years back I bought an RBI Routershop at my local Habitat Store for $100. It came complete, even with the manuals, and very little evidence that it had ever been used. These are selling new for $800. I've always thought that their new selling price was way high for what these are, but at $100 it was a very good deal. I also bought all of my computer room furniture, all 16 pieces of Rubbermaid tables, printer stands, etc. From a Habitat store in a neighboring town for $120. It took 3 trips with my son's stake bed truck to bring it all home. At the time, this store was bursting with way too much furniture and the store manager wanted these computer room pieces all gone as quick as possible and for the special price I had to take it all. I actually only had room for about 1/2 of it, so I gave away the rest, and I'm still happy with what it cost me.

Charley

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I visit a local one on occasion and have donated some tools to them in the past. Bargains are there but one needs to be a regular to grab them up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts