Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the Bosch 12 Amp 2-1/4 Combination Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit 1617EVSPK with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets for sale at Amazon for $199. That's the same price as CPO.

Is this a "don't miss" kind of deal, or just an everyday price?

I need a good free-hand router. I currently have a Triton MF001 in a shop-built table and a Freud (model unk) in a Freud table, but both are a bit too big for freehand work.

Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the kit with fixed and table bases. Paid about the same as you for it. The reconditioned deal you find on ebay occasionally is good (40-50 off) with a new warranty. Used them to construct a router table and a captured tread staircase and then promptly knocked the magnesium fixed base (with the motor in it) off the bench and broke it. Put it back together with JB-Weld but am trying to replace the round base-plate with a rectangular trim base-plate. I saw it somewhere...could anyone provide a link to the procedure for creating a trim base that allows you to cut against a template/fence then turn the base 90deg and trim another 32nd off? Don't want to waste my base plastic doing something stupid.I can't figure out how to get it accurate to the 32nd.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I like CPO..
most excellent CS/TS..
better company to deal w/..
issues are dealt w/ right now..
easy to reach by phone...
free shipping and no tax..
items generally ship same day...
in all the years I've bought from them .. not one complaint...

now for Amazon.. they can bite me..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like CPO..
most excellent CS/TS..
better company to deal w/..
issues are dealt w/ right now..
easy to reach by phone...
free shipping and no tax..
items generally ship same day...
in all the years I've bought from them .. not one complaint...

now for Amazon.. they can bite me..
Convincing arguments. Amazon CS sux, but...

CPO it is

Thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Amazon CS sux, but...

Thanks
did you know that Amazon, Wally World and the chinese all have jumped into bed together...
did you know that people that get counterfeit goods (mail order) got them through Amazon more often then elsewhere...
did you know that Amazon plays dumb on this issue..
did you know that Amazon doesn't really vet their 3rd party vendors..
did you know that Amazon when they dump a 3rd party vendor they let back in under a new name in nothing flat..
did you know that Amazon is multi tier vending...
http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/109937-bewaare-garrett-super-scanner-v.html

don't miss the map in the 1st PDF......

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I bought the kit with fixed and table bases. Paid about the same as you for it. The reconditioned deal you find on ebay occasionally is good (40-50 off) with a new warranty. Used them to construct a router table and a captured tread staircase and then promptly knocked the magnesium fixed base (with the motor in it) off the bench and broke it. Put it back together with JB-Weld but am trying to replace the round base-plate with a rectangular trim base-plate. I saw it somewhere...could anyone provide a link to the procedure for creating a trim base that allows you to cut against a template/fence then turn the base 90deg and trim another 32nd off? Don't want to waste my base plastic doing something stupid.I can't figure out how to get it accurate to the 32nd.
Maybe these will help.

12" x 12" Acrylic Base for Straight Edge System - Rockler Woodworking Tools

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/14916-square-vs-round-base.html

https://www.wwgoa.com/article/shop-made-router-base-plates/

http://www.routerforums.com/portable-routing/37645-square-base-plate-mortising-dadoing.html

Herb

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
If I were trying to put a square base on that alighen the bit whichever direction I pull it across the workpiece, I'd start by finding the exact center of the base. Mark center with a fine point punch of some point. Then, with the stock base still on the router, I'd put some kind of fine point "bit" in the router and center it on the mark in the square base. Align the router so the handles are square to the sides of the new base Then I'd outline the stock base on square base. Mark at least 2 points on the perimeter of the old base, then with the finest point marker you can find, mark the new square base as precisely as you can aligned to the marks on the base. Precision here critical.

Remove the old base from the router and line it up precisely to the outline and registration marks. Use a little tape to hold it in place, and triple check the alignment. Any error here will translate to misalignment when you change directions during a cut.

Next locate some punches of the same size as the mounting holes in the old base, check the alignment again, and mark the hole locations. Remove the old base. GO TO YOUR DRILL PRESS!! Now drill the holes, and either countersink or make a second slightly larger flat bottom recess for the mounting bolts. Personally, I would be inclined to use countersunk because the precision of the method would get me within 1/32 nd, and probably closer. I would not want the play in alignment the other method might introduce.

Finally, since you are using a solid base, not pre-drilled base, you'll need to drill out the opening for the bit using the Drill Press. Personally, I'm inclined to think 1/4 to 3/8ths alunimum for the square base. I'd also would use a very fine file, then sandpaper, to smooth out all the aluminum edges so it wouldn't bind.

That's what I'd do at any rate. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Personally, I'm inclined to think 1/4 to 3/8ths alunimum for the square base. I'd also would use a very fine file, then sandpaper, to smooth out all the aluminum edges so it wouldn't bind.

That's what I'd do at any rate. Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Some times raw aluminum leaves black marks on different materials, anodized is OK,but no sanding ,it removes the anodizing.
Aluminum costs more than the acrylic too, I prefer wood or acrylic.

Just saying.
Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Ordered the kit, with fixed and plunge bases, from CPO. Refurb for $149! Should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks for the recommendation Stick!
You'll be happy with the Bosch. I ordered a refurb Bosch kit from CPO a couple of years ago - absolutely nothing wrong with it and I couldn't be happier. At the same time, I ordered the centering cone kit, the bushings kit and the deluxe router guide. I've got my Bosch router in a home made table, in a Kreg insert plate. I had to drill the holes in the plate for the router and the above-table adjustment screw, but that was pretty easy to do. I just picked up the offset wrenches. Ordered them from Home Depot while I was in Florida, at a cost of $17, but well worth it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll be happy with the Bosch. I ordered a refurb Bosch kit from CPO a couple of years ago - absolutely nothing wrong with it and I couldn't be happier. At the same time, I ordered the centering cone kit, the bushings kit and the deluxe router guide. I've got my Bosch router in a home made table, in a Kreg insert plate. I had to drill the holes in the plate for the router and the above-table adjustment screw, but that was pretty easy to do. I just picked up the offset wrenches. Ordered them from Home Depot while I was in Florida, at a cost of $17, but well worth it.
I plan to keep the Bosch as my free hand router. I have a shop-built router table with my Triton MF001 and a Freud table with a Freud router, but got tired of taking a router out of a table when I needed it for hand-held work. Both the Triton and Freud are big heavy routers better suited to under table use. I'm looking forward to using the Bosch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bosch router kit arrived today. Router motor, two bases, 1/4" and 1/2" collets, collet wrenches, and, to my surprise, a nice case.

The box was marked all over "Factory Refurbished" and there was a sticker on the motor saying the same. Other than that, absolutely no evidence of prior use. Looks brand new.

I'll try it out tomorrow, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ordered the kit, with fixed and plunge bases, from CPO. Refurb for $149! Should be here by the end of the week.
Congratulations that's a fine setup.

That's one thing I miss about the U.S., the cost of things like this is so cheap, here in Australia the blue Bosch 1/2" router is over $500.00 aud, and you only get the plunge base, the fixed base is only available from the U.S. for an extra $130.00 aud.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/brands/bosch/92954-1600w-1-2-router-0601624040

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.