Router Forums banner

bosch variable speed not working

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  thomas1389 
#1 ·
I have a Bosch 1617 that the variable speed is not working properly. The router sat on the shelf for quite a while . It worked just fine when last used. The on off switch works ok but the speed wanders up and down. I am not certain but I dont think it is reaching max speed at all. The speed will change when I adjust it but wont stay constant. Ant thoughts on this beyond getting a new switch. I dont want to start changing parts till I know what is wrong Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
welcome N/A...

look to the brushes being stuck..
blow out the top end of the router w/ low pressure air...
no sense in injecting the motor w/ crud...
DO NOT USE CANNED AIR!!!

#4 ·
brushes need setting and the commutator needs cleaning...

#5 ·
I put a bag over the motor on my mortiser - it’s in a vertical position - the rest of my tools aren’t exposed to much dust and get used frequently. Glad to hear the Bosch returned to service - that would be a pricey piece to repair or replace...

#7 ·
Some might consider me a hoarder but I keep ALL my hand held power tools in their original boxes/plastic cases. It keeps them much cleaner and prevents this exact scenario. I bought a roll of black leatherette(fake leather) a few years ago and asked my wife to make covers for the stationary tools in the shop, I'm still waiting LOL. I find my ceiling air cleaner helps especially when sanding, routing or turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.