Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hooked on the idea of making bowls and related items using the router versus the lathe which I also have done. Would like to make some deeper bowls in shapes other than simply round. Deeper might be up to 2 1/2 inches or so deep. Started with a simple oval pattern I made as the template in some 12/4 poplar. Have watched several videos also on the subject. Here is my question: as I work deeper what is the best approach? I hogged out the bulk using my forstner bits and have used my patter bits to clean up the side down to about 2 inches. Still need to get another 1/2 inch or so before I start using my bowl bit to shape the interior and the bottom. Looking for suggestions as to the best way. Thanks for any help and look forward to learning from you all.

·
Registered
22,207 Posts
welcome, Howard.
this may be the time to increase your skill sets with different tools that can get the job done.
there is a multitude of Bowl Carving Tools available - both by hand and power.
Holy cow! That link is amazing. So many special tools. I was thinking of an extension for the router bit, but the torque on the spindle would be tremendous and probably dangerous. Some of the rotary power cutters look a lot like what they use to grind stumps. Thanks John.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got hooked on the idea of making bowls and related items using the router versus the lathe which I also have done. Would like to make some deeper bowls in shapes other than simply round. Deeper might be up to 2 1/2 inches or so deep. Started with a simple oval pattern I made as the template in some 12/4 poplar. Have watched several videos also on the subject. Here is my question: as I work deeper what is the best approach? I hogged out the bulk using my forstner bits and have used my patter bits to clean up the side down to about 2 inches. Still need to get another 1/2 inch or so before I start using my bowl bit to shape the interior and the bottom. Looking for suggestions as to the best way. Thanks for any help and look forward to learning from you all.
I've never used one but I know you can purchase router bit extensions. Here's one from "Bezos-land" https://www.amazon.com/CMT-796-001-00-Router-Extension-Collets/dp/B000P4NQCK
It should give you the reach.

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
I have a few of the Saburrtooth power carving wheels for the 4" angle grinder and those things can remove a LOT of material pretty quickly with minimum cleanup. After some practicing a bit, one can become quite proficient with them.
(HarborFreight also carries similar styles at a more affordable price). Also, the pneumatic die grinder and wood carving disks also make quick work in hard to reach areas.
Hand Pneumatic tool Saw Handheld power drill Drill

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the Saburtooth burrs in 1/8" and 1/4" shanks and they are amazing. They really hog the material off. I can only imagine what the angle grinder version would do.

I have a few of the Saburrtooth power carving wheels for the 4" angle grinder and those things can remove a LOT of material pretty quickly with minimum cleanup. After some practicing a bit, one can become quite proficient with them.
(HarborFreight also carries similar styles at a more affordable price). Also, the pneumatic die grinder and wood carving disks also make quick work in hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wood Table Flooring Hardwood Tile flooring

For bowl making, using a router, you are only limited by your imagination. For example:
(1) Imagine a router with the base hanging from a point above where you were going to hog the material out of a piece of wood. Think of a pendulum, which could be raised and lowered.

If you wanted to control it, you could add a piece of plywood with a hole in it. The router base support would go down through the hole. By raising and lowering it, you could control the swing of the base.

(2) Somewhere, I posted a spoon making jig I came up with, when a friend expressed interest in making spoons. It had three supports coming off a plexi base and they would ride in jigs that could be swapped for different shapes and sizes of spoons. It was absurdly simple.

This could be adapted to small bowls too.

Camera accessory Bicycle part Scientific instrument Audio equipment Gas

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
I have the Saburtooth burrs in 1/8" and 1/4" shanks and they are amazing. They really hog the material off. I can only imagine what the angle grinder version would do.
LOL with the really "rough" 4" disc, you can carve a hole in a log big enough for a foot tub in just minutes.
Strongly recommended to do this outside, with the wind blowing away from the sawdust discharge zone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for all the suggestions and comments. That is what I like about this forum, folks are so willing to offer their help and share their experiences. The Saburrtooth items are really interesting and may have applications for me beyond just my router bowl current obstacle. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts