Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to Routing and woodwork in general but have recently purchased a cheap router and router table. I have been experimenting with scrap pieces of wood and have made my first basic picture frame. I am keen to try and make other simple items and expand my knowledge of the router. I am wanting to make a simple box with box joints and have researched box joints on the Internet. Could someone please advice me of the best type/size router bit I need and will I need a guide bush? If so which size.

Thanks

Mick

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Mick.

You will find many on the forum, from hobbyists
to professional with similar interest in the router and its uses.

One does not usually require a guide bushing to make box joints
and you can use almost any size cutter. You will however require a jig
that matches the size of the cutter.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mick, there are many different jigs for making box joints shown in our Jigs and Fixtures section. The easiest by far to work with is the design from The Router Workshop. With this type of jig you have a base with a hole for the bit to pass through and a short fence the same width as the size of the joint you want to make. For this to work all you need to do is use a bit the same diameter as the fence and have the fence adjusted that same distance from the bit. IE.. 3/8" bit, 3/8" fence set 3/8" from the bit. You can also make angled box joints by cutting the angle on your push block. This is something that doesn't work with other types of box joint jigs.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice.

Mike, the photos you have attached, are they of a jig that has been made or bought?

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mick, this photo is of the Router Workshop jig from Oak Park which no longer produces them. You can make a jig like this from MDF or buy a set from MLCS.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike

thanks again. Ive looked at the jig at the Router Workshop web site and I'm going to have a go at making my own from MDF as you suggested.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Rockler has their router top box joint jig on sale for $83.94 and they throw in a band clamp that normally sells for $16 dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts