Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make small boxes on router table w a chamfer bit 45 degrees.......how to get opposing sides
to be the same length

Anyone tried the Rockler lock miter bit with set up block?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would like to make small boxes on router table w a chamfer bit 45 degrees.......how to get opposing sides
to be the same length

Anyone tried the Rockler lock miter bit with set up block?
I make 8-sided boxes using a bird-mouth bit. If I make 4-sided boxes I used the tablesaw to make miters. I have no problem aligning the corners.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you go with a lock miter bit, the Lock Miter Master gauge will let you set up the bit and fence position easily. They will work with any brand of lock miter bit. (Hint - you don't need both sizes- the larger one will work for all).

I have the Lock Miter Master gauges and have used lock miter joints, but I could never get very clean cuts. Always way too much tear-out to suit me. I went back to cutting spline slots the full length of both halves of the joint, and I cut cross grained splines to fit using my table saw and tenon jig. Biscuits will work in larger mitered joints too. The attached photo shows one of my cross grained spline joints. The miters and the spline slots were cut on my table saw. Then I used my table saw tenon jig to cut thin cross grained splines from the ends of a donor board (the spline is actually the waste from cutting a tenon). Then I cut the spline free and to the correct width using my miter saw and a pre set stop block. The spline width should be equal to 2X the depth of the spline slot in the mitered ends of the box sides.

Charley

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you go with a lock miter bit, the Lock Miter Master gauge will let you set up the bit and fence position easily. They will work with any brand of lock miter bit. (Hint - you don't need both sizes- the larger one will work for all).

I have the Lock Miter Master gauges and have used lock miter joints, but I could never get very clean cuts. Always way too much tear-out to suit me. I went back to cutting spline slots the full length of both halves of the joint, and I cut cross grained splines to fit using my table saw and tenon jig. Biscuits will work in larger mitered joints too. The attached photo shows one of my cross grained spline joints. The miters and the spline slots were cut on my table saw. Then I used my table saw tenon jig to cut thin cross grained splines from the ends of a donor board (the spline is actually the waste from cutting a tenon). Then I cut the spline free and to the correct width using my miter saw and a pre set stop block. The spline width should be equal to 2X the depth of the spline slot in the mitered ends of the box sides.

Charley
When I use the bird mouth bit, I use a piece of MDF as a push block. The router bit ends the cut in the work piece then enters the push block for 3/4 inch or so. This prevents tear out of the work piece. Also on that router table my fence is an Incra fence so I can adjust in thousands of inches. I generally make around 1-box each day. Well, last year I know I donated 200 boxes and wooden baskets and all cut with the bird mouth bit. They were all 8-sided. I also make funeral urns for people and pets using the same design.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I use the bird mouth bit, I use a piece of MDF as a push block. The router bit ends the cut in the work piece then enters the push block for 3/4 inch or so. This prevents tear out of the work piece. Also on that router table my fence is an Incra fence so I can adjust in thousands of inches. I generally make around 1-box each day. Well, last year I know I donated 200 boxes and wooden baskets and all cut with the bird mouth bit. They were all 8-sided. I also make funeral urns for people and pets using the same design.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I probably made 1,000 or more boxes and baskets that are 4-sided. All of these I used the tablesaw to cut the miters. I then glued them together using Titebond II glue. After the glue set for several hours I have a sled that I used to cut splines in the corners. The splines I used I made from contrasting wood and cut those with a hand miter saw. I

Charley
I have made probably over 1,000 boxes that are 4-corner instead of 8-corner. I use the tablesaw the cut them. Then I glue them up using Titebond II wood glue. Afterwards I used the tablesaw using a sled to cut slots in the corners to apply splines. I use contrasting splines for the corners. Here are what that looks like. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
@kywoodchopper Wow! @ your horse inlays, boggles my cat brain.

Have you ever used coffeenut aka Kentucky Coffeetree? I started buying it from a lumberyard in Indianapolis last summer, I think it could be beautiful in one of your boxes.
Yes I have made boxes out of Kentucky Coffeewood. It is a lot like hickory. I can't find any photos of boxes or baskets that I made of it. It does look nice.

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
I have made probably over 1,000 boxes that are 4-corner instead of 8-corner. I use the tablesaw the cut them. Then I glue them up using Titebond II wood glue. Afterwards I used the tablesaw using a sled to cut slots in the corners to apply splines. I use contrasting splines for the corners. Here are what that looks like. Malcolm / Kentucky USA
I'm a big fan of splines, use them all the time for picture frames. Like to use purple heart for them for the contrast. I have the little lock miter jigs somewhere, but they are so tiny, they've gotten lost. If you use them, find a box to store them or they will go to the sock monster for dessert.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have been wanting to buy one of those jigs, but the only way to avoid paying more for the delivery than the jig, is to have it delivered within the USA when there is somebody from here visiting. However, I gathered from another thread that customer responsiveness and prompt delivery are not big at Infinity?
Not that it matters much for the moment, with the travel restrictions in place.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I have been wanting to buy one of those jigs, but the only way to avoid paying more for the delivery than the jig, is to have it delivered within the USA when there is somebody from here visiting. However, I gathered from another thread that customer responsiveness and prompt delivery are not big at Infinity?
Not that it matters much for the moment, with the travel restrictions in place.
Here are examples of methods that I've used when box making.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Hi Harry,
I really like the Jacaranda box. There were a lot of those growing on the high school campus where I grew up. Very little straight wood on them, so I'm sure the wood is inclined to twist. Nice solution gluing strips together for the top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.