Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual I have been making boxes for Down Syndrome of Northern Virginia. I sent them several boxes and wooden baskets several weeks ago, and will have another shipment tomorrow.

The director told me they work with 555 kids, and get from 30 to 100 new kids each year.

One of the items that I make is infant urns. I changed the design to make some 8-sided like I do all my boxes. I have included a picture of them. I also make a box that I call a Memory Box that folks give to mothers that have lost their baby. I included pictures of two of those that I made in the past week. I generally make about 1-box each day. I have checked to see how long it takes me to cut a box out and it is generally around 40-minutes. Where it takes most of the time is finishing.

Oh, I sent the director an email and told her I generally have a dozen or so boxes every other week that I could mail them. She said some of the items they auction off to raise money for their organization.

A description of these boxes:
The first one is a Memory Box made of bubinga with a tiger maple top. I had two hummingbirds engraved on it.
The 2nd box is made of mahogany with the same tiger maple top.
The 3rd box is made of tiger maple with a spalted red oak top.
The 4th box is made of ambrosia maple with a mahogany top.
The 5th picture shows two infant urns with angels engraved on the top.
The 6th picture shows two walnut boxes. These I sometime fill them with chocolate candy.
The last picture is a maple box with a red heart top.

All of these are finished with Zar brand oil-base polyurethane.

Malcolm / Kentucky / USA
Box Wood Hardwood Packaging and labeling Wood stain
Box Wood Hardwood Packaging and labeling Wood stain

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Very nice products
God bless you for your generosity 😇
John

·
Registered
73 Posts
As usual I have been making boxes for Down Syndrome of Northern Virginia. I sent them several boxes and wooden baskets several weeks ago, and will have another shipment tomorrow.

The director told me they work with 555 kids, and get from 30 to 100 new kids each year.

One of the items that I make is infant urns. I changed the design to make some 8-sided like I do all my boxes. I have included a picture of them. I also make a box that I call a Memory Box that folks give to mothers that have lost their baby. I included pictures of two of those that I made in the past week. I generally make about 1-box each day. I have checked to see how long it takes me to cut a box out and it is generally around 40-minutes. Where it takes most of the time is finishing.

Oh, I sent the director an email and told her I generally have a dozen or so boxes every other week that I could mail them. She said some of the items they auction off to raise money for their organization.

The first one is a Memory Box made of bubinga with a tiger maple top. I had two hummingbirds engraved on it.
The 6th picture shows two walnut boxes. These I sometime fill them with chocolate candy.

Malcolm / Kentucky / USA View attachment 396281 View attachment 396281
Very nice and thoughtful work!

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
I always love to see the boxes you make. Inspiring to say the least. Many decades ago I made a fundraising film for a large Christian home for mentally and intellectually disabled children and adults. Spent two weeks shooting film there and it was one of the really great experiences I've had. So many of those kids were curious as heck, loved looking through the camera, liked the lights and were so loving in nature that it was a joy every day I was there.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Malcolm, Great Boxes, as always. Thanks for posting them, and thank you for your charity efforts. I know they are appreciated.

I like Zar oil based stains and poly too, but my local sources have all discontinued Zar, and now I have to order it online.
This works ok, until I'm part way through a project and realize that I don't have enough to finish it.

Charley

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Malcolm / Kentucky / USA View attachment 396281 View attachment 396281
Another great batch of boxes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.