Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a called from a minister in one of our low income neighborhoods asking for two boxes to Prayer Request in for two different kitchens. She said I could make them out of plywood. I told her my tools probably wouldn't cut plywood. I made these out of walnut. Also made 3-cherry boxes and one small walnut box for special needs kids. She also asked for some way to put a place for 3 by 5 cards and pencils.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Quality work always comes from your shop Malcolm. Very good design with functionality on the Prayer Request boxes.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
No doubt these are great boxes indeed. I guess one of my prayers would be answered if I learned the skills to make these boxes. So much to learn and so little time. I have a blanket chest to make between now and August when my granddaughter starts at ODU and I'm just starting to learn to hand cut dovetails.......

Beautiful boxes with a thoughtful design and finish.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No doubt these are great boxes indeed. I guess one of my prayers would be answered if I learned the skills to make these boxes. So much to learn and so little time. I have a blanket chest to make between now and August when my granddaughter starts at ODU and I'm just starting to learn to hand cut dovetails.......

Beautiful boxes with a thoughtful design and finish.
I have been making boxes for many years - probably 15 years or so. Last year I probably made 200 boxes and wooden baskets. Shooting for 250 this year. Once I get the wood planed and sanded it takes about 45 minute to 1-hour to cut the box or basket out. I sometimes will cut out several at a time. I have started documenting how I make them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just beautiful Malcolm. Exactly what we'd expect from you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't have CNC. Just a Sawstop tablesaw and a router.
Wow. That text on the top of the boxes. Is that hand inlayed? Made two plaques this last month. Getting that small text 3/8" tall to be readable was a job. I cut it 2 times and sanded that 60 year old maple for hours to get it just right! Here is some links to some of my projects.
Shop update 2019 (tzo.com)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. That text on the top of the boxes. Is that hand inlayed? Made two plaques this last month. Getting that small text 3/8" tall to be readable was a job. I cut it 2 times and sanded that 60 year old maple for hours to get it just right! Here is some links to some of my projects.
Shop update 2019 (tzo.com)
For the engraving I take those to an engraving shop. I believe they burn it on using the computer. It may be a CNC. I'll ask the next time I visit. Since I make so many funeral urns, one engraver started calling me Urnie Ashes since he engraved so many of my funeral urns.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another one looking forward to your competed discussion. I too, focus almost exclusively on boxes. Do you you think it is a disease?
At times I think this disease is getting the best of me. I may get in the shop around 4 a.m.; then in an out and finish up around 10 p.m. Most all of my baskets and boxes go to kids with cancer or other major problems including little girls that have been molested. Some of these kids are really struggling.

·
Registered
Retired Engineer, Hobby woodworker
33 Posts
Got a called from a minister in one of our low income neighborhoods asking for two boxes to Prayer Request in for two different kitchens. She said I could make them out of plywood. I told her my tools probably wouldn't cut plywood. I made these out of walnut. Also made 3-cherry boxes and one small walnut box for special needs kids. She also asked for some way to put a place for 3 by 5 cards and pencils.
Beautiful boxes. Are they big enough? If we did things like that at our church they would be over filled quickly. We're not a big church, about 80 on Sun. AM.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I too am hooked on making boxes, but force myself to make other things that are needed too. But then the urge gets too great, and I'm making boxes again, but none are ever as fancy and decorative as those the Malcom has posted. Some day maybe, but not yet. I love your boxes Malcom.

Charley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.