Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted photos on an electricians forum asking if it would be OK for me to reposition the cable, not infringe any regulations, they said I would be fine. " Safe zones are up to and including 150 mm from the corner so the cable is ok "

I've got a Erbauer oscillating multi-tool, also several 68mm jaw corner clamps. I'm thinking of some type of box frame, with a detachable front held in position, with magnetic ball catches, or Keku clips?However when the loft hatch is down, there is only a 8mm gap between it and front of CU. I think there is a legal requirement to keep the flap on the front of the CU attached? If was removed, there would be much more space.
Which materials would be suitable for boxing in and can take a coat of paint, any ideas for a suitable box design? Thin rigid type of plastic, 4mm-6mm thick for the front perhaps?.

To do the boxing in I need to hide the cable behind the architrave, what would be the best way to remove this architrave , old chisel, prise offl? After removing the architrave I intend to use a Erbaur wood cutting tool to cut out a small section out of the timber behind the architrave, so I can hide the cable by pushing it into the space. The cable goes up the wall and into the CU. The two bottom cable clips on the architrave I'll remove I'm thinking there should be a bit of slack on the other end, if needed to push the cable into the space. There is a 3rd cable clip up on the wall before cable goes into CU, will leave that clip there, so securely holding the cable in position there.
Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Welcome to the forum,I am not into Elec. wiring, so can not give any help, but someone will be along in a bit to help you out. We have a lot of knowledgeable members here.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Use your multitool cut a channel/grove for wire...
set the wire in the groove...
close/cover the groove w/ a nail plate....
nail plates come in a zillion widths, lengths and styles...
no nail plate???
use a piece of sheet metal...
be careful not hit the wire w/ the plate's teeth...

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Stick, thanks.
I was thinking of cutting a section out of the timber behind, the UK is called architrave, USA = ? ( the moulding on which the cable is pinned on.
Cutting a groove is a much better approach and if I chisel out a recess I can tack the nail plate into that.

All I need to do now is to work out how I can box the lot in.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
header???... I think...
cover it w/ a fascia, valence or casing...

could you stand back and take an overall bigger picture

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
So have ya been Pete???

now for the how to cover/hide that what whatever it is...
build a valance/cornice box the full width of the door... molding is optional...
leave the bottom open for ventilation...
use 3MM BB for the removable face...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'm a licensed electrical contractor, and have been for about 60 years, but in the USA. I would therefore hesitate to suggest anything about code compliance for electrical work in the United Kingdom. You need to find someone in your country to get the correct answers to your questions.

Charley

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi Stick, thanks.
I was thinking of cutting a section out of the timber behind, the UK is called architrave, USA = ? ( the moulding on which the cable is pinned on.
Cutting a groove is a much better approach and if I chisel out a recess I can tack the nail plate into that.

All I need to do now is to work out how I can box the lot in.

Cheers :)
Architrave (ark-ee-trave) noun 1: a beam that rests on top of columns 2: A moulding around a doorway or window opening. Collins English Dictionary

To me these seem like two distinctly different things. One is a beam and the other is moulding. I think in this thread the the moulding is the subject of discussion.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Peter if you take a picture from farther back and get the wall and control unit I'll be able to get the perspective of the parts better. I'll be able to tell if any of the other pictures are the correct orientation or not and spin them for you if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts