Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from Bob & Rick on this question, as well as from other Forum Members.

What factors do you take into consideration when deciding to use brads(small nails) or double sided tape to fix a pattern template to your work piece?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't use brads if I will want to use a clear finish the piece. I would rather have a piece without holes in it than one that I have to patch or fill holes. If it is something that will not be seen, or will be painted, I suppose that brads would be fine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeff,
I don't like a bunch of holes in my projects either that I have to fill. Putty just never seems to match, and some times it really stands out. When Bob & Rick use brads on The Router Workshop, they always put them in an area that is on the back or in an area that will be covered. I guess what I'd like to know is if there is a "Rule of Thumb" that they use to determine which to use.

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Can the finished piece have nail holes in it? if so then the pattern can use the nails. If not then the double sided tape works. Now not all double sided tape is created equal. Some double sided tape has a draw back with the glue sticking to the finished pieces. I use Tesa 4970, which has solid gluing properties and doesn't leave residue on the finished pieces.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob and Rick. I have been using the doublesided tape that I found at WalMart or Lowe's, I can't remember which. Sometimes it holds just fine, but other times it doesn't hold very well at all. If I pull the pattern off and try to reposition it without replacing the tape, it sometimes breaks loose. I'll see if I can find the tape you use here in Tennessee. Is Tesa a Canadian manufacturer? Thanks for the info.....Chuck

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
You can order the tape Rick uses from the Oak Park web site.(Click on one of their ad's) I have had very good results with the least expensive double sided carpet tape from HD. One thing to keep in mind is that tape will perform differently with a change in temperature and humidity. Most tape removes easier if you put it in the icebox for a while. Removing hot tape almost always leave a sticky residue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.