Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
Maybe router tips . As in who ever comes up with the best idea?

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
Home made Router table builds . That would be a great contest to see !

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
creations where the router is the primary tool...

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
Best homemade router jig ,sled , guide etc . Anything that supplements the routers use that a member has built and not bought

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Best homemade router jig ,sled , guide etc . Anything that supplements the routers use that a member has built and not bought
Home made router jigs is good Rick.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I would like to see contests for like items (boxes, tables, cabinets, signs, ect...).

A contest might just define design criteria (small, large, square, round, from one board this size, ect...) for a project to be made within a certain time frame.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Future contest ideas.

I would like to hear your ideas for future contests!
How about useful contraptions built for the shop. IE: storage devices, for tools , nut and bolts. Odds and ends?
By my suggestion, you already know that I have something built.

When the enemy is within range... so are you....

·
Registered
17,394 Posts
How about useful contraptions built for the shop. IE: storage devices, for tools , nut and bolts. Odds and ends?
By my suggestion, you already know that I have something built.

When the enemy is within range... so are you....
I like this one David . My garage is in a constant state of disorder and because it's small every bit helps

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A few thoughts...

Project related:
2 x 6 (or 1 x 4, or whatever) Challenge--project made entirely from a construction grade (preferable "big box") 2" x 6" x 8' timber, no other wood allowed. I saw the results of one of these once--pretty incredible. For our purpose, should require at least some router work. Time frame of 2 or 3 weeks, photo documented.

Story-related
1. Worst shop error--most of us have disclosed some mistakes, but i'm sure that a few have held back (i can guarantee at least one!!)

2. Best recovery from an error--it's been said that good golfers can learn more from watching pro's recover from terrible shots than they can from watching great shots to start with. And i've seen that in some of the postings i've read in the past few years, at least for me!!

earl

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like this idea because it fosters the idea that we try to help each other. Submitting jigs and other tools promotes ideas. Everyone is here to learn or share. So let's start sharing ideas for jigs by having a contest. Maybe with a few different categories

:sold:.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Those are great suggestions, Earl! The 'Lumber Challenge' got my creative juices flowing.
Isn't Rick Irish? Doesn't that mean he's already got a head-start on the jigs? ;)

·
Official Greeter
18,737 Posts
Due to the vast split between the complete amateurs (such as myself) and the professional woodworkers on the forum, I feel that any contest should be simple enough to entice the backyard boys and give them a sense of having achieved something.

As Earl (Greenacres2) said, "...2 x 6 (or 1 x 4, or whatever) Challenge--project made entirely from a construction grade (preferable "big box") 2" x 6" x 8' timber, no other wood allowed. ......For our purpose, should require at least some router work. Time frame of 2 or 3 weeks, photo documented. ...", and limit the number of tools that can be used.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I feel that any contest should be simple enough to entice the backyard boys and give them a sense of having achieved something.

2nd the motion...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I feel that any contest should be simple enough to entice the backyard boys and give them a sense of having achieved something.
this one's for you Rick Rainman....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Due to the vast split between the complete amateurs (such as myself) and the professional woodworkers on the forum, I feel that any contest should be simple enough to entice the backyard boys and give them a sense of having achieved something.
One more thing to consider is size of the project. It is hard to compare a complete set of well build kitchen cabinets and a small trinket box that fits in one hand, or compare a large sign for a business front and and a small sign made to decorate a small space on a kitchen wall.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I agree with James. Should either be to entice all (or have divisions of skill levels).

A reminder to Cricket-- Mike was actively putting bugs in Vendors ears for product trials and reviews. Some of these vendors would donate stock for those and for testing.

Mike used a lot of those with his local woodworking club, but opened that up to others every once in a while. Some of those he had contests with. Most of those were not high-dollar items, but was fun to work with or for. Some Vendors are happy to do that for free Advertising.

I know one contest we had, was from a Vendor looking for a safety slogan... We could get creative with what we are doing and what for. Because there's some "Router Forum" Hats and T-shirts floating around somewhere also isn't there? (i saw pictures of some members with them in the past... LOL)

As a router forum- I like Sticks Idea on one being a project where the majority of the work is done with a router. The other idea that stuck with me was a router jig or pattern.

I think it should be divided into classes or levels. So it doesn't have to cost allot for someone to do (originality and ingenuity) and that gives all skill levels an even chance. A new member should have just a chance to beat me (though I would disqualify myself and do just for fun) or anyone else.

We also have a CNC section, who could be a part of a contest, judged by it own standards... We sometimes forget about that section and I think it seems like they feel left out sometimes. You can still be creative at any level.

Heck, I love some our member's hand carvings and turned goods. Those are 2 areas I have not done (little carving but no turning)... and I applaud their works!

I also think members here would be honored to take care of their own (i would donate a prize I made). Because even if a prize was a member made sign or a small furnishing, such as a shelf, an end table, a jewelry box, a homemade jig... I think that would be appreciated as a prize.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I agree with James. Should either be to entice all (or have divisions of skill levels).

A reminder to Cricket-- Mike was actively putting bugs in Vendors ears for product trials and reviews. Some of these vendors would donate stock for those and for testing.

Mike used a lot of those with his local woodworking club, but opened that up to others every once in a while. Some of those he had contests with. Most of those were not high-dollar items, but was fun to work with or for. Some Vendors are happy to do that for free Advertising.

I know one contest we had, was from a Vendor looking for a safety slogan... We could get creative with what we are doing and what for. Because there's some "Router Forum" Hats and T-shirts floating around somewhere also isn't there? (i saw pictures of some members with them in the past... LOL)

As a router forum- I like Sticks Idea on one being a project where the majority of the work is done with a router. The other idea that stuck with me was a router jig or pattern.

I think it should be divided into classes or levels. So it doesn't have to cost allot for someone to do (originality and ingenuity) and that gives all skill levels an even chance. A new member should have just a chance to beat me (though I would disqualify myself and do just for fun) or anyone else.

We also have a CNC section, who could be a part of a contest, judged by it own standards... We sometimes forget about that section and I think it seems like they feel left out sometimes. You can still be creative at any level.

Heck, I love some our member's hand carvings and turned goods. Those are 2 areas I have not done (little carving but no turning)... and I applaud their works!

I also think members here would be honored to take care of their own (i would donate a prize I made). Because even if a prize was a member made sign or a small furnishing, such as a shelf, an end table, a jewelry box, a homemade jig... I think that would be appreciated as a prize.
Well said Mike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts