Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just assembled a brand new router table with the intention of making a lot of raised panel doors.
Kreg table, Woodpecker sidewinder lift, 2-1/4 HP Porter-Cable Router, Freud bit set.
On several of the first test cuts that I made, the bit seemed to move verticall up into the wood momentarily and then back where it started. I used paddles and featherboards to guide the wood test pieces.
This happened on the stile bit set up.
Everything (mountings, clamps, bit) seems tight, and there is only a little end play in the router shaft.
The last two test cuts were OK, but I wonder if it will happen again on the real workpieces.

Thanks for any thoughts,
J.R.

·
Official Greeter
19,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have never heard of any allowable end play on a router shaft. You say this is a NEW router??

(Everything (mountings, clamps, bit) seems tight, and there is only a little end play in the router shaft.) *QUOTE*

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys.
I re-checked everything for tightness, and made a few more test cuts. Did not find anything loose.
The end play that I 'feel' was when I pushed and pulled axially on the bit (with the machine unplugged). I did not quantify this, it just felt like there was some small movement.
Over the weekend I routed the components for four raised panel doors 11" x 26", and did not see any gouging. The components turned out pretty good.
I have to think that I must have somehow let the work piece move vertically on my first test pieces.
Now I have another dozen doors to make.
Thanks again,
J.R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.