Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many ask where to get the brass setup bars at a good price to use on the hand router or the router table..

You can order the 12" long brass key stock and cut it into 2 or 3 parts, this way you will have 2 or 3 true complete sets ,I like to use the 6" long ones,they will always make the jump over just about any hole in the router table plate ..

Brass Stock ▼
" Made from alloy 360 brass, which contains lead for good machinability. It's corrosion resistant and nonmagnetic. Minimum tensile strength is 40,000 psi. Minimum Rockwell hardness is B35.

Tolerances: 1/8" to 1/2" sizes: ±0.0035"; 5/8" to 1" sizes: ±0.0045"; 1 1/4" size: ±0.005"."

McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

If you want to save more money select Alum. in the normal sizes it's soft and will not harm your bits..(1/8" to 1/2" ) but not in all the sizes like the brass bars...

=======

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If You were to check the bars out with a micrometer, You would find it to be a bit larger, or smaller than it says it is! The problem is that if You used that bar to measure something like akey way, or a finger joint, it would not fit! If You figured out a box joint out using that bar, You would have a sloppy fit, or one so tight that You would have to start over with a new piece of wood. If You did not have some experience with that, You could get so mad, that any thing to do with measuring out something would make You very un sure of Yourself, that You would quit before You would have to start over!

·
Official Greeter
19,955 Posts
You are correct, Howard. Size does matter.

I never had any problems with my Oak Park set.

Will have a better look tomorrow.......

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
With a set of key way stock (mine are steel, 1/8-3/4 in 1/16th increments), a set of 1,2,3 blocks and a story stick, one can almost eliminate the use of a tape measure or ruler for all but the largest of projects.

·
Official Greeter
19,955 Posts
Good tip, Gene.

I have just ordered a set of brass set up bars and a set of 1,2,3 blocks from Amazon.
[got a gift card for Christmas].

I may even be able to manage a story stick.....VBG

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Here ya go, James.
Calipers Measuring instrument Ruler Tool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.