Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my name is Gearoid (pronounced Ga-road - its Gaelic and the pronunciation is a bit strange:) )

Just a quick word to say hi and introduce myself to the forum. I am 35, have relatively little woodworking experience and havent done much since I was a teenager helping out in the workshop of my next door neighbour. I made a few shelving units in my bedroom back then - all very basic stuff, but it's amazing what a lick of paint will do to plywood! Back then, I made a few Radio control model airplanes out of balsa and ply, but not using many electrical tools.

I joined the forum because I would like to learn from your knowledge and experience and apply this to my first project in a long time - a garage workshop with bench and storage cabinets, shelves and drawers (so that I can start making model airplanes again - with my sons). I have a few specific issues and I am trying to get answers for them as I go along.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Cheers
Gearoid

·
Official Greeter
19,730 Posts
G’day Gearoid

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
feed rate rabbet pass depth

Well. Gearoid, you've certainly come to the right place, we all look forward to being involved as much as possible.
Cheers for that Derek!

I just took out my router last night to machine a couple of slots on a tool holding piece. Great fun and learned a lot in s short amount of time. I have a hand held router. I have a lot of 12mmx12mm rebates to machine on pine lats (to form the sides of a shelf frame), and I was wondering:
1: how few/many passes can I go to make a 12mm deep rebate (12mm wide too)?
2: how fast can I feed the material to the cutter?

I guess the answer to both will come with experience!

I would appreciate any help you could give me on this
Thanks in advance

Gearoid

·
Registered
989 Posts
Keep the speed down, and to cut 12mm deep make at least 3 passes maybe 4 you'll feel the router and if it feels right then carry on, when it snatches you are cutting too deep and probably you've got too much speed on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.