Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic handle on my miter saw broke. The part is no longer available from the manufacturer. I have it held together with rubber straps but would like to try and glue/epoxy it. Would like suggestions on what glue or epoxy to use. Thank You.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would use a two part epoxy or a solvent-type glue for plastics. Epoxy bonds to almost anything. Solvent glues work for most but not all plastics. I wouldn't trust anything else to bond to plastic.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Has anyone used those plastic welders they sell at Harbor Freight? they come with filler rods and have different rods for different plastics. I read an article one time and I guess they really work. They are not that expensive either.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
my dentist does....
but a bit upscale from HF...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Which saw do you have...?

Got a picture of the break...?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I saw an epoxy at a Home Hardware store up here but I can not remember the name of the epoxy. It will even glue hypalon which I am not sure any other one will glue but the stuff was expensive, about $20 for the 2 tubes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jim ~ I have had excellent results with Loctite 20 minute epoxy plastic bonder in the .85 fl oz double barrel tube for gluing plastic. Doesn't work with all plastics. I repaired a lawn mower throttle assembly with it and submitted a review to Lowe's. Click ... here ... and click on the reviews button and scroll down to lawn mower throttle repair. Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I've had good results using JB weld as well. I've also used Lepages (I think?) 5 min epoxy.

Reactions: Moz

·
Registered
281 Posts
Of course yours probably broke in a different place, but mine has held nicely the past two years with just black electrical tape.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jim...if it broke over a hollow part of the handle, reinforce it first by fitting in a piece of wood...regardless of what you use for glue...just a thought...

Reactions: Moz

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The plastic handle on my miter saw broke. The part is no longer available from the manufacturer. I have it held together with rubber straps but would like to try and glue/epoxy it. Would like suggestions on what glue or epoxy to use. Thank You.
what saw do you have...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts