Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Found this forum which has been around I see for many years so may be there is some router guru who can help me with my issue. Many many years ago when we first moved into a new home I was given a Ryobi router for Christmas. Model R-160. It was used quite often in those early years. I have resurrected the router to do some decorating work for my wife. The router came with a 3/8" screw in collet but I only have a box of 1/4" shank router bits. I sent a query to Ryobi and they replied that they did not have 1/4" collets or even sleeves that would allow me to use the 1/4" shank bits. So I did a google search and found that I could purchase sleeves that would convert 6.35mm shank bits to 8mm bits. I thought that I would try one out but before I initiated a purchse I found that the existing 3/8" screw in collet had a fine crack in it and it actually split in half when I dropped it rendering it useless. Back to Ryobi who stated that they no longer have parts for the R-160 router. I searched Bigwarehouse spares who have just about anything and even though they have the Ryobi Router R-160 listed their spares are all listed as NLA....no longer available. Does anyone with R-160 experience have a solution? Cheers all

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi, if that collet is threaded on the outside (you mention screw-in), it may be interchangeable with a similar part for the old Hitachis, and you may actually be able to get a 1/4" as well as 6mm and 8mm. The 1/4" may require a complee unit, i.e. including the part that the collet screws into. Don't know about 3/8".

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could you try to post a clearer and better-lit photo, also a photo of where that part fits on the router? It may be possible to get a replacement chuck - Harry Sinclair, a well-known Antipodean on this forum, is a big advocate of the Musclechuck, but if one is available to fit, with shipping from the US it will probably cost you more than a whole new router.
You could try to start a conversation with Harry and ask for his advice. Click on your avatar top right of the page, to get to that feature. His handle is harrysin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.