Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bug Hotel No 2.

Well after my Sister in Law saw my attempt at a bug house/hotel, she being a lover of all things wild had to have one. No I said with some authority. Yes, my wife said with much more authority.

There is a reason for my initial no response, because I don’t like repeating the same project twice as I usually end up recognising all the mistakes and improvements I should have done, and I start to hate the first one I completed, and because you don’t have to continually design and problem solve as you are working through the project it gets boring. I need challenges in a project.
So, after my wife tongue whipped me into submission I relented and a Bug Villa idea was borne, not a hotel like my own, just a three-storey house with a view.
Now I posted the first one on the forum and was met with some resistance from our American cousins who could not believe I wanted to save the insects that make their life a misery in many parts of the USA. Fortunately, over here in the UK an occasional wasp or bee sting is as much as you can look forward to, we don’t really have mozzies only three-foot-long highland midges. So, saving our bugs is a pastime taken to heart by many. If you go into our garden centres you will now see as many bug houses as bird houses on display.

The design I decided on was to be more retro with a 1960’s feel to it and as such I just drew a huge triangle on the floor and the shape you see is half way up my drawing. I just nailed a line into the point of the triangle and used the line to convey all the measurements which kept each piece of wood pointing to an apex.

Bending the ply was difficult and I ended up involving my good wife who has a steam oven and she steamed all the ply for me. If anyone’s interested its regulo 5 or 290 degrees for 15mins in a fan assisted one with steam at full pelt. Worked a treat.

The roof is just grey Flash band I cut to imitate a slated roof.

Well it was handed over and as you can see installed.
As from now all new insects in my neck of the woods will be homeless unless they bring a bug caravan with them, and no that’s not a cue for a travelling bug house.

Yours
Colin
Scotland

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's fantastic Colin. So many great design details. I think your bug hotels would go like hot cakes if you sold them on ebay.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
An elegant design and fine craftsmanship that will be enjoyed by both bugs and humans.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the comment it's nice to have ones efforts commented on as usually you end up with self satisfaction rather than appreciation

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,050 Posts
That looks great.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree it's a very well built and neat looking bug house. BUT... I don't understand the concept. What kind of bugs are you trying to attract, and for what purpose? Just curious. :smile:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I agree it's a very well built and neat looking bug house. BUT... I don't understand the concept. What kind of bugs are you trying to attract, and for what purpose? Just curious. :smile:
I would have the questions as Mike.
David

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the USA the term mainly used is bugs, here in the UK it's insects and with the insect poisons being used today they are under threat especially honey bees. Butterflies etc. we need them to survive. Take insects out of the equation and nature rebels. Albert Einstein stated that if bees died out mankind would follow. That's why we care in the U.K.

·
Registered
Paul
2,009 Posts
Colin, either you've got a really wide fish-eye lens or those curves make for a very interesting project! I'll have to admit though, that I'm very picky choosing my insect friends.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Colin,

Thank you for posting the photos about the construction phases of your elegant Bug Hotel 2. It is a great pleasure to see your work on behalf of the insect community.May they thrive and do well. Please keep us posted on who moves into the hotel. We simply don't have a concept like this in the U.S., so your work as a great mind opener.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Colin,

Thanks for the clarification. I have to say honey bees are in bad way here too. At least where I live. I've seen very few on our flowers. More bumble bees than honey bees the last two years.

·
Premium Member
20,480 Posts
I have more than an acre of back yard, and i weed by hand and use zero insectiside. We also planted trees and low water use plants that have lots of flowers most of the years. So we have bees and a yard with plenty of lizzards, rabbits and bugs. I really like the curve of this structure. I can also see it as a very attractive bird house. I'm not familiar with the material you used for the roof, what is it again?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts