Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start construction of a cross cut sled for my T-saw. I bought a sliding aluminum miter bar from Rockler-VERY nice! I have a couple sketches and the bar comes from Rockler with some plans but I thought I would offer I ask you fellas for comments and suggestions. I have made a couple ad-hoc crude sleds in the past, but this one I want to be a work of ART!
Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And....further to my early post: I picked up a scrap of Baltic Birch that is 3/4" thick. Is there any disadvantage to using a material that thick for the "bed" of my cross-cut sled? I can't think of any?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The only disadvantage I can see is it will be heavier and more cumbersome. The last one I made I used 1/2" plywood and made it smaller than any of its ancestors. With all the advances in miter saws the table saw isn't used for cross-cutting as much as before.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry. You're right: that was my conclusion too....heavy for the use. By mere chance I found TWO pieces of 1/2 B.Birch yesterday.I have a couple of plans for a cross-cut sled and the Sliders made by Rockler, which really look great. The sleds I've made in the past used oak or maple strips and its only a matter of time before they bind. I also agree re: miter saw, but find occasions when I DO need a sled. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.