Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a router table and have come to the table top and fence.. Wondering what I should build it out of. It will be stored in my garage which is only heated when I'm out there. I live in the northeast.
Mike

·
Registered
Paul
1,937 Posts
I remember reading that you should have both sides coated or humidity can warp it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm building a router table and have come to the table top and fence.. Wondering what I should build it out of. It will be stored in my garage which is only heated when I'm out there. I live in the northeast.
Mike
Thanks all. I'm thinking of a double sheet of Baltic birch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering, if I use melamine, isn't that prone to swelling too? Baring cast iron, what do you think the best top would be and how thick should I make itI.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
I own two Incra router tables and they are 1-1/4" Melamine over MDF core. All faces and edges are covered with Melamine. I think MDF is more dimensionally stable than plywood (even Baltic birch). Flatness is more important than strength for a router table. Screw holding capability should not be an issue with a router table.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own two Incra router tables and they are 1-1/4" Melamine over MDF core. All faces and edges are covered with Melamine. I think MDF is more dimensionally stable than plywood (even Baltic birch). Flatness is more important than strength for a router table. Screw holding capability should not be an issue with a router table.
i built a router table top with 2 layers of 3/4 mdf. I intended to glue laminate on top but it never happened. Should i be coating the mdf with something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering about the weight of the Freud 3000 I was going to mount to it. It/s a pretty heavy router.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts