Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted here. Hope everyone is well and prospering.

As part of keeping busy during Covid lockdown, I started a business designing and selling CNC breakout boards. Here is my current product. As a proof of concept exercise, I purchased an Avid Pro4848 frame/mechanicals and am designing/building the electronics (using my BOB). I have been blogging the progress and wanted to share it with you all. Here is where it currently stands today (pun semi-intended).

Machine specs:
  • Work area 49 1/2 X 49 1/2 X 8 inches (1257 X 1257 X 203 mm)
  • Footprint 67 X 66 (1700 X 1100 mm)
  • Cutting speed with NEMA 34 - 500 IPM (12700 mm/Min) - We'll see about that!
  • X & Y drive system is rack and pinion, Z is Ballscrew
  • Accuracy is said to be 0.005"
  • NEMA 34, 960 OzIn stepper motors
  • 2.2KW ER25 air cooled spindle
  • Teensy 4.1 Based grblHAL motion controller.
The first blog entry is on site planning and my shop space. It started out looking like this.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,535 Posts
Thanks for showing.

·
Registered
Retired Engineer, Hobby woodworker
21 Posts
It's been a while since I posted here. Hope everyone is well and prospering.

As part of keeping busy during Covid lockdown, I started a business designing and selling CNC breakout boards. Here is my current product. As a proof of concept exercise, I purchased an Avid Pro4848 frame/mechanicals and am designing/building the electronics (using my BOB). I have been blogging the progress and wanted to share it with you all. Here is where it currently stands today (pun semi-intended).

View attachment 398748

I'm a retired engineer, worked for CNC machine tool builders and then for companies using them. I have a lot of expertise on what works concerning machine design. 2 things in your design make me cringe - rack and pinion drive and stepper motors. When the racks get plugged up with saw dust the stepper motors stall and the machine looses the ability to know where it is. Use ball screws all the way around and good quality encoders.

Hope this helps.
  • Work area 49 1/2 X 49 1/2 X 8 inches (1257 X 1257 X 203 mm)
  • Footprint 67 X 66 (1700 X 1100 mm)
  • Cutting speed with NEMA 34 - 500 IPM (12700 mm/Min) - We'll see about that!
  • X & Y drive system is rack and pinion, Z is Ballscrew
  • Accuracy is said to be 0.005"
  • NEMA 34, 960 OzIn stepper motors
  • 2.2KW ER25 air cooled spindle
  • Teensy 4.1 Based grblHAL motion controller.
The first blog entry is on site planning and my shop space. It started out looking like this.
View attachment 398749

1 - 5 of 5 Posts