Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to build several of these type of buggy seats.

Suggestion on the metal springs welcomed. How to build (template?)
where is the best palce to get the metal, etc.

See attached thumbnail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Pa's Primitives said:
Want to build several of these type of buggy seats.

Suggestion on the metal springs welcomed. How to build (template?)
where is the best palce to get the metal, etc.

See attached thumbnail.
Hi,

Working with springs in a home shop might be a little hard to do.... of course maybe you have all the tools but even at that it would be a major undertaking.

If I were to do this I might go to:
www.meiselwoodhobby.com
and look at #4186 Buckboard Bench Plan & Parts Package.........$54.95

I have seen this same sort of package else where but I don't recall where...

Ed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My wife saw these seats in my open catalog so it looks like I maybe making one this summer as well.

Please keep us up todate on how yours is coming along and maybe drop a few hints as well. Pictures are nice too....

Glad you found the other site, I will have to think about the route I want to take on this project, maybe the kit the first time to get a feel for how the springs work and to get the other metal parts??? Notice I said the first time... I think she wants 2, one for outside the second for indoors.......

Ed

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be wrong.........but the cuts are very simple, and assume that there predrilled holes in the springs...........not that I would but I bet you could be off 1/2 inch on the springs, and they would still function.

My springs should be the first of the week.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
So it is buggy seat season.

I ordered the kit and it has arrived. This is the first time in a very very long time I am using someone elses plans to make anything.... OK I am making some modifications but most of the parts are of their design. To be honest this is harder then doing my own as it takes a while to figure out what they are doing and why...

I started out digging in my wood pile and while they call for red oak I want to use some treated wood for the parts touching the ground and cedar for the rest. Since cedar is not quite the same as oak I am beefing up the cedar parts. I have a lot of odds and ends and was able to find enough of the correct sizes that I will not have to be glueing up stock.

I then took the time to make some templates out of 1/4" plywood for the parts they had patterns for. A few adjustments here and there and I was ready to check things out. Well the patterns they provided did not fit the arc of the springs from the kit very well so I fixed that and then got the tracing on to the wood done.

Looks like early next week I will be ruff cutting wood and tempate routing some parts. Have to see how the weather holds up but at least I have a shot at having it done by Mother's Day.

Anyone else build one of these?

Ed

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Ed
I sold my horse and wagon in the 50s when gas was 25 cents a gal. and got a truck to do the work but now I wish I had my horse back. :) :)

I new I should have kept that junk, old spings, etc. but I do have one of the old seats with out the springs on it in the back yard by the garden, I almost chucked it last year because the wood is going bad and the sq.head bolts and steel straps are on the ground next to it.

Bj :)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Just a thought on finding the springs: Did anyone try asking at their local automotive spring shop? They will have spring stock in a great variety of sizes and tensions. It seems likely that you could save some money going this route since anything specialized seems to cost more.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Started back on the buggy seat today. Things went along very well, I even snapped a couple pictures and they are attached.

My poor old planner has been a shelf for the last couple of years... just haven't needed it or wanted to work hard enough to get it out. Well last fall I decided enough was enough and since I wasn't getting around to making a stand for it I would buy one. Now I have no reason not to use it. You can see the dust collection system I use for it.... maybe half of the it goes in the box. I really have to get working on a collection system..... Take a look at the first picture.

Now back to the project. The second picture show the spring and other metal parts that come with the kit. The bag has some of the screws and bolts needed but not all of them. Not shown is the two sheets of plans.

While I'm at it I wanted to leave you with a "tip of the day". I decided to make only half patterns, now if I were going to make a bunch of these I would have thought about making the full ones. I used the patterns to draw the parts on the wood then bandsawed the parts leaving 1/16" to 1/8" to clean up with the router. This is SOP and I'm sure a lot of you have done this, but as you know when you reach the "flop point" or center of the work piece the pattern ends and it is easy to make a blemish there. What I like to do is just stick a block of wood even with the pattern and route on to that about a bits worth. It is easy to do and makes the transistion flawless. Take a look at the next image to see what I'm talking about.

After cutting the parts out I wanted to check how the new arc I did for the spring turned out. It is right on and I will not have to do any adjusting for that... well at least not with this set of springs anyway. The next picture show that.

I did tell you I was making some changes to the plans and the support between the legs is one of the areas that I'm changing. I also added a bit of a arc to the support where the springs sit. I still might have to do a little fine tuning but it is getting close. I did this free hand with a sanding drum... maybe I should have got a router bit involved but it was getting late in the day. Anyway the 5th picture shows that.

The last picture shows the wood parts needed. The two seat pieces still need to be cut to length... last things to cut. Then I will do all the rounding over and start doing a dry fit... if I did not mess anything up I should get the sanding done and be ready for finishing.......... oh.... Haven't been thinking much about that.... I might go with a sealer then paint???? Still have a couple of days of warm weather before the cold front comes in with rain and washes my shop out.

I do have one issue to report... the cedar was sized to 1-1/4" and when I went to do the routing I decided to go with my 1/2" CMT that is listed as having a 1-1/2 cutting height. Got things all mounted and ready to go then went to set the bit height... hey this is odd the cutting height is the same as the wood thickness????? What gives here????? Popped the bit back out and measured, sure is 1-1/4", must have purchased the wrong bit back a couple of years ago???? Looked a the package (plastic pouch that it came in). It says 1-1/2!!! Now I'm not sure where I got the bit... it could have been at a store or I might have mail ordered it (yes it was before online ordering was used much). I was thinking that if it came from a store someone might have swapped bits and paid for the 1-1/4 bit while leaving with a 1-1/2" bit.... or maybe the manufacturer messed up... Anyway it is to late now but from now on when I buy I'm going to make sure I got what I paided for. Come to think of it I have a dozen at least new bits that I have never unpacked or taken the plastic coating off.... better take a look at them.

Ed

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts