Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of working outside or in the garage, I am able to build a real woodworking shop. My wife and I both enjoy building projects, so we decided to go BIG and do things right the first time. Shop is 40x70 pole building with 14ft ceiling (open truss at the moment). There is also a 12 foot overhang that runs down most of the side.

We bought some property, and now have a tractor shed and shop building up.With 54 wooded acres we have plenty of space to work in, and lots of wood for projects. I am now working on the inside of the shop. I built a shower room with a toilet, and plan to build a noise room, and a finish room. The shop will be used for woodworking and storage. Since we work full time, things are going slow - but steady. Once the shop is complete, we will build a house as money is available. Hope to do a lot of the work ourselves (practice on the shop first :) ) We are also deciding on what to do with the land - we have put in pecan, almond, hazelnut, and walnut trees. We have also planted pine trees for future lumber and pine straw. I have purchased a portable band sawmill so that I can put the trees to good use.

Field and Pecan Orchard
Land lot Property Natural landscape Soil Grass
Land lot Field Soil Tree Pasture

Tractor shed
Property Home Building Real estate House

Shop with outside finished
This was after a record snowfall for our area
Home Property Snow Building House

Shower room and toilet
Room Wood Plywood Building Furniture

Painting the floor
Toilet Tile Floor Property Bathroom

Wiring the panel
Electrical wiring Electronics Cable management Technology Electrical supply

Storing pictures on the walls
The support posts are on 10 ft centers to give you some reference.
Building Room Furniture Interior design

My first table saw
Machine Machine tool Tool Table saw Table saws

Nice end to the day
Sky Red sky at morning Nature Afterglow Sunset

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify - I did not put up the shell for the shed and shop. I cut trees, cleared and leveled the land, then contracted the shells and concrete floor. I took over for everything on the inside. With limited time, it would have taken months or maybe years to get the shells up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rick,
There's only one thing wrong with this as far as I can see, and that is...

It's not mine.
You are very fortunate to have that much blank space and land to work with. I can only dream...

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Rick, why bother with a house? 40x70 is bigger than my whole house. Besides you have a shower and toliet already. Just insulate and heat, thats all that's left. Great start of a shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, the original plan for the 40x 70 building was for a living space and a shop. Things changed after we started, and I ended up with the whole space.

bummer, I know...:sarcastic: (I will try to make the best of it)

The only issue now is getting everything done so I can start some projects.

I will keep posting updates as things get done. Maybe even sneak in a project now and then.

We got a second coat of Epoxy on the floor tonight.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
If that setup was in southwest Pa, instead of SC, you'd have a new best friend, wether you wanted one or not!!! That is just tooooo nice!

good luck to ya!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Build a shop first, and maybe build a house if there's any money left? Now that's dedication. 54 acres? That's enough room for a shtf compound, mud bog, dirt bike track, gun range, and who knows whatever else one can dream of.

Jealous is all I have left to say.:cray:

·
Official Greeter
20,257 Posts
"Shop is 40x70 pole building with 14ft ceiling"

Now, thats what i'm talking about.....LOL

Jealous rage......:yes4: :yes4: :yes4:

James

·
Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Deb

Right On,,,hahahahahahahahahaha I would love to send a bill to the power company :yes4:

=========

Sheesh all that wide open space is perfect for a wind turbine. ;)

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Nice shop, one like that would be nice until I misplaced something!!!! Hard enough to find things in my 425sqft shop!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I hope Solar will be part of the future. I don't think there is enough wind for a tower, but I have so many options...

Ballpark costs - 20K for concrete slab (including prep, grading, and retaining wall), 30K for shop building, 10K for tractor shed (no floor)

Been married over 30 years, and this has been part of our dream. Took a while to get here, but we are enjoying it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.