Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy to all wood workers,

I have a problem with my router table. I built it myself; I made the recess for the plate and I stopped. My plate is made out of ½ plastic.

On all the table inserts (plastic or AL) they have a larger diameter hole that houses some inserts. The way I wanted to be is just to cut a circle large enough for a ½ key to un-luck the mandrel so I can change the bit.

Do I really need to use those plastic inserts? Any help will be appreciated.
I can’t attach any pictures but I attached a word file. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your help
MC73

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The idea of using different inserts is to keep the space around the bit small for added stability when passing small parts by the bit and some of those plates with removable inserts have one that will allow the use of guide bushings.
Some people have taken their collet wrenches and put a double bend in them so that they can reach below the table to change bits. I just pop my router and plate out of the table to change bits, much easier that way.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Michael, it is important that the opening not be too much larger than the bit for good support of the workpiece. The inserts allow you to use one plate and have different sized openings for the bits. You can easily make three different sized plates if you like but it is more work to switch the router from plate to plate. Since the Grizzly mounting plate is only $13 with the inserts it seems to me this is a much easier way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Charles and Mike. Now I think that my 1/2" opening is not to large.
I'll try to buy some of the Grizzly plates too...just in case.
Thank you.
MC73

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can see a problem if you try to use a bit with a diameter larger than your 1/2 inch hole and don't use the entire profile of the bit for some reason. Something to consider just in case.

·
Registered
Theo
7,164 Posts
I just pop my router and plate out of the table to change bits, much easier that way.
And faster.

For what I do, all my plates (1/2" plywood) have a hole about 1 1/2"-2". Works just fine for me. If I needed a smaller hole, for additional support, or whatever, I'd just make a new plate, with the size hole wanted. Then I'd attach a router to the plate, and leave it on. I've got five identical routers, all lower end Craftsmen, 1/4" shank, and they have been working well for me since about 1996.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Charles and Mike. Now I think that my 1/2" opening is not to large.
I'll try to buy some of the Grizzly plates too...just in case.
Thank you.
MC73
Again thank you to all.
I ordered 4 plates from Grizzly. It will be delivered by Friday.

Chuck I'll try to do like you. I have an older and larger plate. I'll try the oak disks.

Thanks guys.

MC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you use the magnets from the Grizzly plates for?

Oh... and I finished that router lift from Shop magazine. Not a good look of it but it works. Trying now to attached it to something else than the plate.
No pictures tho. I don't want to brake your computers. ;)
MC

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts