Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried using a table mounted bull nose bit on walnut. All was well until the last inch or so (15"board) when it cut deeper. I redid the table settings and adjusted the gap of the fence for the bit. all to no avail regardless of the pressure on the board against the fence.
Any advice would be helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's something wrong with the fence alignment. Have you put a straight edge against the fence , hitting both sides to see whats not aligned?

This is one of those times a one piece fence helps..
Yep your probably right - I did recheck with straight edge and fence appears to be even. Just thought - I need to recheck 90degree fence may be slightly angled - would that have caused that bite?

·
Super Moderator
507 Posts
make a one piece board and clamp (or screw) it to the existing fence with a notch cut out just big enough for the cutter.
I'm thinking that you are putting more pressure on the tail end than the front end when approaching the end of the cut. a feather board would help with consistent results.
Building Rectangle Wood House Beige

·
Registered
2 Posts
The way I see it, you are taking off enough material to remove the flat edge of the board. If that is the case, the outfeed fence needs to be shimmed out by the same amount as the material you are removing.

To set this up, router about a quarter the length of the board, holding it tight against the infeed fence. Carefully back the board out, still keeping it tight against the infeed fences. Now turn off the router. Now with the router off, place the board back on the table, at the place where you had previously stopped cutting (about a quarter the length). Make sure the board is tight against the infeed fence. You will notice a slight gap between the routed board and the outfeed fence. This is the amount the outfeed fence needs to be shimmed out.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
@ rlgeisick - total newb and my first post here so please keep that in mind.

My perception is that if the wood is rocking deeper into the cut on the -outfeed- side of the fence then the cut (route?) would be shallower (less deep) over the final "inch or so".

The OP states and the picture shows the cut going deeper, as if the leading edge is being moved away from the outfeed fence.

Am I missing something or should I butt out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts