Ok guys Here are the pics as promised!!!
There is a thunderstorm brewing upstairs so I will make this short as I have been told that this is not important and to start packing.
I snuck down to the workshop and did one more trial run and had much better success now knowing where the problems are. Here are the pictures and short explanations
1st Pic -The setup
1/4" round over bit with 1" OD brass guide bushing
2nd Pic - Fixture parts & assembly
used t-nuts & stove bolts in lieu of knob and screwed fixture together at hinge end, 1/8" spacer, top & bottom sleds with stops
3rd Pic - Assembled fixture
assembled fixture (bottom view) with 1/8" spacer, stock cedar material
4th Pic - Assembled fixture
assembled fixture (top view) with 1/8" spacer, stock cedar material. Notice pencil line for centering
5th Pic - Finished Rout
Fixture with finished rout of lure. Small chips still evident at these locations only from 2nd cut. Can be sanded out.
6th Pic - Finished results
after 4 attempts these are the results
Keys to the improved finish:
- For the 2 nd cut I increased the spacer to 3/8" as I didn't have any more cedar to play with and needed to see what would happen if I could use a wider piece to start with.
- Before routing across the fixture, I started to lightly nibble at the humps, without forcing the wood into the router. Also worked backwards as I nibbled away which eliminated large tearouts. Once the humps were relatively complete, I then started at the noses and continued across the fixture. Seemed to work real well and I am sure that with a little more time and effort, I could get much better at it.
I still believe that changing the direction of the grain would be much more beneficial and produce better results, and suggest you give serious consideration to this point.
If I get some time later today, I'll review this post to see if I can add anything that I may missed.