Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hope you experienced CNCers can advise me. Surfacing a slab of maple, using the Amana 45525 bit. Running it at the recommended speed of 18000, and cutting at 100ips (the fastest my machine will go), with a depth of cut of 0.5mm, I just get continual burning.
Tried slowing the rpm - no difference. Different step-overs - no difference. The bit has only surfaced 2 MDF spoilboards, and a couple of other (not maple) slabs, so I can't believe it's blunt already. Cutting with a 1/2 inch router bit the surface was perfect. Is maple particularly hard on bits? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
it was likely the mdf that dulled your bit, if anything imho. you may slow the rpms down to 10k or so and try it, since that is a 3 flute. burning means cutter is dull or spinning "too fast", or feed rate is too slow. since you can't feed faster, you have to slow down the rpm's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you mean inches per minute? 100 inches per second is flying. What is your machine? The pic looks like you may have a tramming issue, too. Does the material have ridges or is it just that the burning makes it look that way in the pic?

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,365 Posts
I agree that you may have a tramming issue. I use a two-flute flat bottom bit to surface my spoilboard at 400ipm (18k rpm). Something like the Maple you've shown I would probably surface at 200ipm to 250ipm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I did try slowing the rpm down to 10K at which point the router was stalling, but no difference. Yes, of course I meant inches per minute! The system was tramming previously, but I fixed that and the surface is now completely smooth to the touch - the main scorch marks are on the point where the bit is making the cut. As it surfaces perfectly with a 1/2 inch router bit I am inclined to think that the Amana bit has dulled, which for an expensive bit is disappointing, after just 4 uses. My Machine is an Oozenest WorkBee. Max speed is 2500 mm/min, which equates to 98 ipm, so I am thinking that this is just the wrong bit to use with this machine, however running at 15000 rpm and 98 ipm would give the same chipload to that recommended.

·
Registered
297 Posts
fwiw the chip load calculator i use from US Router Tools suggests 855-945 ipm at 15k rpm's, 3 flute on hardwoods (0.02 chip load)
you may also try a lighter cut at a lower rpm...

if you have tried all of the recommendations and still burning, your bit is likely dull...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts