Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay woodworkers. I have a hand held and a table top routers.And I just got a set of brass bushings from Grizzly. It is a real nice set. ,Now I would like to know how do I go about learning how to use these things. Does anyone have any easy to make templet plans that I can practices on . Or does anyone have any other good ways that I can learn how to use theses great looking tools. Thank you much..Learning :p :p Herb

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
Go to the member list and look up "Template Tom" view the threads he started, and you will see a bunch of good information on template usage.

Templates are a great time saver if you are doing multiple items, but they also come in handy for a lot of other applications. It is much easier to refine and tune up a pattern made out of MDF or hardboard, then cut your expensive piece of stock, plus it is a lot easier to recover from a mistake.

The most important thing to do when using your templates is to make sure that they are exactly centered around your bit. you may have to nudge your baseplate a little bit to get it exactly right.

I have used templates for numerous projects, from cutting out propeller shapes for airplane bookshelves, to carving out recesses in jewelry boxes or cribbage boards, and even cutting out complex curves in speaker cabinets. The last project I did for my daughters were two "storybook" bookshelves from one of the wood working magazines, and I made a template of the door and window openings once, and cut the openings on all eight pieces.

The possibility is endless, and it is a lot easier than it sounds. Use your imagination and give it a try.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Herb, one of the easiest ways to get started is to build a simple photo frame. You can build either an internal or external template. External: Lay a photo on a piece of 1/4" Masonite.(tempered hardboard) Trace the outline, then move your lines in by 3/16" or 1/4". A couple square cuts and you have your template. Attach it to a piece of wood using double sided carpet tape. Clamp the wood in a vise or to your bench using at least a 1/4" spacer underneath. Put a piece of carpet tape underneath to hold the cut out. Set the guide bushing against the template and plunge into the wood about 1/4", moving in a counter clockwise direction around the template. Repeat this, plunging deeper by 1/4" each time until you cut through. Remove the cut out piece and change to a bearing guided rabbiting bit. Make a 1/4" rabbit around the opening for the photo and glass to sit in. Flip the wood and use a bearing guided round over or ogee bit for a finish edge. Internal: Instead of cutting the template on the inside lines, measure out and mark new lines based on the guide bushings you will be using. Example: Using a 1/4" plunge bit and a 3/8" guide bushing you would add 1/16" to the outside edges. Make your cut out and be sure the edges are smooth & square. Now you have a frame to rout inside of. Fasten your wood the same way, then plunge only to a depth of 1/4". Now switch to a 3/4" guide bushing. Plunge cut in 1/4" depths until you are through the wood. You will end up with 3/16" lip to support the photo and glass. If you want 1/4" lip you would use a 7/8" guide bushing. Once you have your opening flip and finish the edges. Hope this was of help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,, I thank you so much for the tip.. I will give it a try.I gess you can also put beads and fancy groves in the frame the same way ,( by using diff. size bushings and diff. type bits. This is really neat.Can't wate to get started. Thank you again.
Learning herb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts