Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get a haircut the barber always ask how your doing & what you've been up to. The barbershop I use is all beauticians who found they can make more money just cutting men's hair. When I describe the cnc router to them, they don't have a clue! I made this business card , which is 4 time the size of a regular card, as a Christmas present for the co-owner who cuts my hair. It is Peruvian Walnut 7.5" W x 4.5" H.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
...snip...
When I describe the cnc router to them, they don't have a clue!
Nice work.

While I've had a couple projects that could have been done better with a CNC router, I had no real interest as I didn't really even have my own router. My interest may be increasing now. I've been wondering if the gears I made recently couldn't have really benefited from using CNC.

Rick

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Very nice Bob and a great idea! I just cut something for my barber of 30 years and he often watches my videos. I may borrow your idea and cut something for him similar to this you've done.

David
Is she pretty, David?????????????? I cut my own hair every two weeks. I like to look spiffy. :surprise: :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work.

While I've had a couple projects that could have been done better with a CNC router, I had no real interest as I didn't really even have my own router. My interest may be increasing now. I've been wondering if the gears I made recently couldn't have really benefited from using CNC.

Rick
The gear shown in you uploads would be easy to cut on a cnc if there could be a slight radius at the bottom of the teeth, ie 0.0625", depending on the endmill used for the finish cut. The outside teeth angles are not a problem. If the radius is a problem, the gears could be cut on a cnc and the bottom area finished off on a bandsaw.

·
Administrator
David
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
The gear shown in you uploads would be easy to cut on a cnc if there could be a slight radius at the bottom of the teeth, ie 0.0625", depending on the endmill used for the finish cut. The outside teeth angles are not a problem. If the radius is a problem, the gears could be cut on a cnc and the bottom area finished off on a bandsaw.
Yes, I think that would work. I did clean up and square off the bottoms of the teeth using the bandsaw, so even if the radius was a problem that could be done again. I'd really rather just design the gears to work with the radius.

I'm working on a post to start a thread on this but given holiday activities with family, I'm not sure just when I'll be posting it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Nice work Bob. Really like the multi layer look

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
Nice carving, I'm sure she will be happy to display it.

Reactions: MoHawk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts