Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's good art, and there's bad art, then there is the stuff someone decided to 'call' art so they could try to find a live one to buy it at an obscene price. I consider this one just tremendously over-priced stuff. https://www.etsy.com/listing/513248957/stand-coat-rack-free-standing-coat-stand?ref=market Honestly it looks like something I might glue up in my shop from cutoffs to hang stuff on. Well, actually, I probably wouldn't - unless I planned on burning it later.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow! A custom coat rack made from aspen bricks for ONLY $1200! As someone said, art is in the eye of the beholder. No, wait, that's beauty. I guess art is just subjective. I may have found my retirement income stream though. Just need to make and sell a couple a month.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Omg! If I could sell those for that price, I would be soon getting my house and workshop! I would be embarrassed to sell that...let alone make it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I wish you were kidding, but sadly, you're not. Near the bottom of the Etsy pages, toward the left side, it shows the listing date. This one was on February 19th. It would be interesting to look again in a few months and see if anyone ever bit on it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Art is defined by argument.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I could just as easily call a pile of dog crap art. Wait for it to dry, few coats of varnish, give a fancy title, and there you go. I'd probably only ask about $600 though since I would only be putting about half as much effort into my art piece as that person put into theirs. Unless the dog wanted his cut. Then I'd have to charge more.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could just as easily call a pile of dog crap art. Wait for it to dry, few coats of varnish, give a fancy title, and there you go. I'd probably only ask about $600 though since I would only be putting about half as much effort into my art piece as that person put into theirs. Unless the dog wanted his cut. Then I'd have to charge more.
I don't know if it is still done now or not, but years back people were gathering cow pies (city folk ask a country folk what that is), letting them dry, then varnishing them - and actually selling them. I don't recall what they called them, but apparently they sold pretty well. Hard to believe, people paying good money for BS, while the politicians are handing it out for free.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: furboo and vindaloo

·
Registered
188 Posts
Remember. $1200 is the ASKING price, not the price someone paid.

ETSY has no "completed sales" data like EBay, so you can't check prices for completed sales of comparable items.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember. $1200 is the ASKING price, not the price someone paid.
Yeah, but I'd be ashamed to even ask a price like that, for something like that. $12 would be more realistic in my book. Moot point anyway, because I would never offer anything like that for sale, period; I take some pride in what I make, and I could never be proud of anything like that.

Reactions: 197761

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sort of like the people who welded together scrap metal and got it displayed on the Greenway in town. It's still scrap metal!
FWIW, a few years ago, someone got the idea of molding quail droppings in acrylic and making jewelry out of it. People bought it!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Up here it's moose-squitos, moose turds joined together with toothpicks in the form of a mosquito and then varnished. They don't sell for $1200 though.

Reactions: 197761

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sadly, I think a few actually do think they are making art. I think the rest are into it as a legal, but not morally ethical, way to scam people.

I've been called an artist a few times, but it always makes me feel, I don't know, hard to describe the feeling. But artist is NOT the feeling. My son has made a few 'yard art' pieces, and sold them. He does not consider them art, or himself an artist, either. He spent 5 or 10 minutes, welded some old pieces he had laying around into a figure, a neat figure, unpainted, to stick out in the yard. I know he got $40 for at least one of them, and the buyer set the figure, not him. I think he'd have let them go for $5 each, possibly $2. Like my canes, fun to do, neat to look at, but art they are not. I don't consider anything I have made art, even my chainsawed Tiki, or my world corporate headquarters iggle.

On the other hand, if it will sell, it is art. >:)

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Durn, my Tiki and iggle didn't show up. Try again.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I remember the cow patties and don't forget about the dryer lint!!!

I have NO problem with using scraps and calling it art. But it has got to be appealing and interesting and in some sort of form or theme. I would consider the tiki as art.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts