Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm in the market for my first router. Leaning towards the Bosch 1617.

I found a local guy who has one for $45 but he states the bearings need to be replaced. I am torn, bearing and new brushes would be $25. I am comfortable with doing the repair but is it worth is? Looks like you can get the entire 1617 package for $150 as a refurb.

What would you do?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
I agree with Stick. I have a 1617 mounted in my CNC. I have been using it since August weekly and sometimes daily, with some work lasting several hours. I am sure my router has as many hours, and possibly a lot more than the one you looked at. Mine is still going strong. Just sayin'.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Robbie; welcome!

Just to be clear, the 1617EVS is the fixed base only. The 1617EVSPK is the combination kit with both the fixed and plunge bases.
I made the mistake of buyig the EVS and immediately regretted not going all in and getting the plunge base as well.
In my own defense, I had a plan and I thought it made sense...so basically that's two mistakes I made. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Robbie listen to Dan. There are some jobs that can't be done well or safely or both by a fixed base router but can be with a plunge and a plunge will do any job that a fixed base will.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Well that answered my question. Thank you all. I'll wait until its back in stock
order now and wait ...
that's what many do which depletes replacement stocks quite rapidly...

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Don just something for people to think about:

Did the bearings going out over heat the bearing set causing a loose fit for replacement bearings and poor overall performance of the router even if you replace the bearings and brushes? If it was used on a CNC and run wide open all the time chances are that it is not worth repairing but it is worth replacing. Consider a factory refurb as a good choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.