Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you buy your wood screws from some place other than a local store, where do you buy them? I went on a search for some #8x1-3/4 flat head wood screws. The options at Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local hardware store were very limited. You can get what you want 50 to 100 at a time if you can afford them, but if you want to buy by the pound, that's tough. Is there a good online source with reasonable shipping charges?

When I attempted woodworking about 10 years ago, I bought a bunch from McFeely's. When I went there to buy more, the part numbers have changed, the finishes and threads are confusing, and no one ever answered the chat.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
1st thing I'd do is hit my local lumber yds, you should find a wide range of bugle, pan head and torx. SST anodized and coated. If you don't see what you want there and they aren't willing to get them for you try Mcfeelys.com.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
If you buy your wood screws from some place other than a local store, where do you buy them? I went on a search for some #8x1-3/4 flat head wood screws. The options at Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local hardware store were very limited. You can get what you want 50 to 100 at a time if you can afford them, but if you want to buy by the pound, that's tough. Is there a good online source with reasonable shipping charges?

When I attempted woodworking about 10 years ago, I bought a bunch from McFeely's. When I went there to buy more, the part numbers have changed, the finishes and threads are confusing, and no one ever answered the chat.
give this guy a call or email...

CS second to none...
on shore product..
very good prices...

Bryon Diller
Lightning Bolt, Inc
3109 N. Cascade Ave., Suite 202
Colorado Springs, Co 80907
Ph: 719-473-5054 / 888-619-0724
Fx: 719-473-5094 / 888-655-8135

[email protected]
Nationwide Distributor of Discount Fasteners

Reactions: patlaw

·
Registered
91 Posts
I buy many of my screws at Walmart!!! I use a lot of #8 x 1-1/2" & 2" for my wife's craft projects. They in boxes of 50 at a reasonable price (better than Lowes). I think $2 something a box. They are good quality screws.

Not all Walmart’s carry the screws and the stock is not always well maintained. For larger quantiles I go to Fastenal and if they do have it in stock they have it usually the next day and no shipping cost. They too are cheaper that Lowes.

Quick Screws is also a good place. They have an warehouse about 6 miles from my home. I just order online and pick up the next day. I do have to buy larger quantiles but the quality and pricing is very good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check my Walmart. It never would have occurred to me to look there. QuickScrews looks like an awesome supplier. It will be interesting to see how much their shipping charges are. There are some industrial suppliers in my area, like Wilder's, but they don't have a catalog, and as a beginner, I don't usually know what I want. With time.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Interestingly there are Ace Hardware Stores interspersed frequently in my [North Georgia] area. I use a huge volume of SQUARE DRIVE & TORX DRIVE screws and they seem to have anything I could ever want. It's been a while since I've purchased from McFeeley's, but they used to mail-out a catalog that was very nice. I'm thinking McFeeley's sold to another company. This should help to reduce or eliminate confusion with part numbers. Peachtree Woodworking Supply is also a great go-to place for things such as that!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I haven't seen screws by the pound other than drywall screws. For nuts, bolts and washers I get those by the pound at Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I used to work for Fastenal. We sold fasteners much cheaper than local retailers. We sold 100 washers for what others charged a dozen. Check their website as they have access to hundreds of suppliers. I sold a screw that was a 2X48 to a company that made automotive mats; repair item for sewing machines! Try finding them anywhere else. Also, McFeeley's comes to mind. Good luck!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Go with the square drive (Robertson ) if you can get them. All of our local hardware stores sell them by the pound like others do nails. You can hold a Robertson screw horizontal on the driver by itself which other screws, except maybe the torx, won't do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to work for Fastenal. We sold fasteners much cheaper than local retailers.
If you have a wholesale account with Fastenal, they may be cheaper. However, as a hobbyist, they hit me for retail. At that price, they're no cheaper than the retail stores.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I use Spax (German made) screws exclusively. They can be bought @ Home Depot as well as other woodworking supply houses. They are much stronger than the cheaper screws and even though the initial price and quantity might be more you usually spend less per piece when you buy in quantity. HD does have the smaller boxes (green color). They are not usually on the same isle as the run of the mill screws.

I watched a demo by a company rep for Spax. He took screws off the shelf and using hardwood ran them in and out of the wood. The Spax could be used over and over vs the cheap ones that usually broke after the second attempt. I have no connection to the product other than using them and have never had one break or fail in a project. Cheaper is not always better so try a few, I think you will like them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, I love Spax for rough stuff - they shred their way in and hold incredibly well. The Torx heads are great for driving. But they are pretty expensive and not the best for hardwood. Still, for anything other than furniture, Spax is a winner! After that, it's Robertson. I hate philips head screws. You have to be super careful not to over torque.

I second the Ace Hardware recommendation. They have a really broad range of fasteners. Prices are ok, not great though.

One complaint I have is that very few small wood screws (6, 8 or 10) come in Robertson or Torx drive. At least not at the usual outlets. Wish I'd had #8, 1/2" flat head in a torx (or even sq) drive when I was installing drawer slides. What a PITA...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wholesale accounts will require that you have a state and/or local tax certificate plus a business license plus a credit application for the account. I have a tax certificate for Tennessee. I am required to report sales amounts and pay the sales taxes on any personal purchases I make through my business tax certificate.
Our local Tractor Supply store has cut waaaay back on fasteners. FWIW, Ace is the place. I used to work at Lowe's and found things at Ace that Lowe's didn't carry.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Yeah, I love Spax for rough stuff - they shred their way in and hold incredibly well. The Torx heads are great for driving. But they are pretty expensive and not the best for hardwood. Still, for anything other than furniture, Spax is a winner! After that, it's Robertson. I hate philips head screws. You have to be super careful not to over torque.

I second the Ace Hardware recommendation. They have a really broad range of fasteners. Prices are ok, not great though.

One complaint I have is that very few small wood screws (6, 8 or 10) come in Robertson or Torx drive. At least not at the usual outlets. Wish I'd had #8, 1/2" flat head in a torx (or even sq) drive when I was installing drawer slides. What a PITA...
That's too bad Phil. The bulk bins we buy from have #8 and larger but we have spar packs of 4, 5, and 6s in 100 count. Most Canadians will sympathize with you on the Phillips. 99% of all the towel bars, TP holders, paper towel holders, etc still come with Phillips as all of it is made in China so not only do the screws come in Phillips, they are a crappy grade. Lots of us either toss them for square heads or use a square drive to pre-thread the holes.

Reactions: OPG3 and DaninVan

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That's too bad Phil. The bulk bins we buy from have #8 and larger but we have spar packs of 4, 5, and 6s in 100 count. Most Canadians will sympathize with you on the Phillips. 99% of all the towel bars, TP holders, paper towel holders, etc still come with Phillips as all of it is made in China so not only do the screws come in Phillips, they are a crappy grade. Lots of us either toss them for square heads or use a square drive to pre-thread the holes.
I should probably have been more specific. I can find square or torx screws in #6, 8 or 10 just not less than 1" in length. Even ACE doesn't seem to carry them. Some mail order places do, though. The curse of Henry Phillips hangs over every woodshop...

Interestingly, Henry Phillips did NOT invent the phillips screw - that dishonor goes to John P Thompson.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a theory about why it took a hundred years for them to make it over the border from here. Robertson worked for Henry Ford as did Phillips. Robertson invented the square head after impaling his hand with a flat bladed screwdriver. Henry wanted him to give over the rights to it and Robertson refused. Phillips must have gotten the rights to the star drive, if what you are saying is true, and he gladly handed them over to Henry. If Ford owned the rights to the Phillips design then he would have gotten a royalty from the sale of every screw. If Robertson tried marketing his screw in the States it could have decimated the sale of the Phillips drive which would have hit Ford in the pocket. I'm guessing that Ford managed to block the importation of Robertson's design somehow.

Reactions: OPG3

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The article I read said that cold forming was a big problem for producing square drive screws and Robertson's innovation was to taper the socket. He got a US patent in 1911. It's possible the Ford played dirty with him - he did with a lot companies. That was pretty much par for the course among business tycoons of that era.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts