Router Forums banner

C type couch table from a repurposed countertop

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Marco 
#1 ·
A friend of mine renovated his kitchen and gifted me his solid oak Ikea countertop. Our new giant covid couch has no where to place a drink. The only people that can place a drink are those sitting on the far ends. So I decided to make a C table.

The countertop had a food safe hard wax finish. I cut it down to 12” wide then sent it through the planer to get it down to bare wood. I waterfalled the miter edges and strengthened it with dominos. I was going to leave it square but it needed some softening so I rounded everything off with the router.

It works great as a regular end table as well. Finish is seal coat of shellac followed by 4 coats minwax oil wipe on poly and wax.
I have half a counter top left so I think I will make another one but this time I am going to give dying the oak a try. Maybe darken it up to a more walnut color.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
That is great advice. I was a bit worried about it when I was building it but figured it wouldn't have much weight on it. The solid oak is heavy so its own weight could pull that joint apart. For the second one I will use a spline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.