Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been re-modeling the lower level of our place for a few months (ah the joys of being empty nesters). We're looked around for a new vanity but my wife says they are both too expensive and without character. So recently she came home with a cabinet from re-sale shop and wants me to convert it to a bathroom vanity.

I think the pictures tell most of the story. We decided it was too low so I added a 'skirt' raising the unit 2". I took the drawer and re-worked it into a "U" shaped drawer that would fit around the sink. Decided on making wooden drawer slides vs. a trip to Rockler.

It's not done yet. I'm still adding additional top coats to protect the paint. Vanity tops always get a lot of abuse.

I can't figure out how to space pics around text so they're all at the end.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,358 Posts
This will be interesting to watch.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
@oldhudson49 - In order to insert pictures in with your text, you will have to upload your pictures to a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Then you can copy the link and paste it in with your text. I copied the "Img" link.

Hope this helps.

Example 1 - Glue up for cutting boards.

Example 2 - Finished board

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Berry - I like how ornate the cabinet is and really liking the color. Was the cabinet already painted or did you finish it? What are you using for a top coat and is it oil- or water-based?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sweet!!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
So far I really like it. The "U" shaped drawer is a really good idea. I am interested in seeing the 2" riser.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Berry - I like how ornate the cabinet is and really liking the color. Was the cabinet already painted or did you finish it? What are you using for a top coat and is it oil- or water-based?
The cabinet was already that gray metallic color. The top coat I decided on, after doing some test samples, Minwax Polyurethane Clear Semi-gloss.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Looks great. Really like the color.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Great idea and a great outcome . What was your final height , as typical a vanity sits at 32" high .
I ordered mine specifically at 34" , as I like mine a little higher than standard .
I like how you cut the top drawer so it was still usable ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great idea and a great outcome . What was your final height , as typical a vanity sits at 32" high .
I ordered mine specifically at 34" , as I like mine a little higher than standard .
My final height was slightly over 34". Be back later to answer the other question.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I cut and screwed the new 'inside' drawer sides into the old drawer. After they were screwed in place, I clamped the drawer, face down in a Black and Decker Work Mate and cut out the middle section with jig saw. There was some trial and error here but kept making small steps removing more material until I could slip the unit without hitting the sink.

I hope this answers your questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts